General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,097 Likes on 3,648 Posts

It ain't worth a damn unless you use it, with that said I got it for 5 years on mine, first year with 96" in touring so....it's a choice . Are you buying a garage queen or a touring bike...choose wisely....

Old 09-04-2016, 08:20 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 915 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Try using it at an out of state dealer. Good luck with that. I know who you dealt with when you bought it. Mr. Palmer. He used to sell the HD CNA warranty. Two years ago the MoCo cracked down on dealers selling out of state at discounted prices and put a stop to it. The guy at Boardtracker (formally Kutter HD) started pushing the Cornerstone package.
I know this because I bought CNA warranties from him on 3 different bikes. I live in New Mexico.
Curious about your answer. The dealer I took my bike to (in Ohio) really didn't care what kind of warranty I had. They just called, got approval, and that was that. You're right; it was Jim Palmer I talked to. I'd always had a good experience with Kutter/Boardtracker, so I went back there for the warranty. Jim explained, as you did, the circumstances surrounding the switch to the Cornerstone warranty. Anyway, so far, so good.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:43 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Peepers
Curious about your answer. The dealer I took my bike to (in Ohio) really didn't care what kind of warranty I had. They just called, got approval, and that was that. You're right; it was Jim Palmer I talked to. I'd always had a good experience with Kutter/Boardtracker, so I went back there for the warranty. Jim explained, as you did, the circumstances surrounding the switch to the Cornerstone warranty. Anyway, so far, so good.

Dont get me wrong, Jim was a great guy to deal with for buying the MoCo approved CNA warranty. Many on the Forum will attest to that. Jim/Kutter HD had the best price while they were able to discount out of state. The MoCo put a stop to that so Jim stsrted selling the Cornerstone product. What I dont know is IF the Cornerstone product is good at ANY dealer. What I DO know is the CNA product IS good at EVERY Harley dealership.

It might have been your Ohio dealer used your factory warranty for your most recent need for warranty repair. My GUESS is that after your factory warranty expires you will be left with searching for dealers who will honor the Cornerstone product. Perhaps Jim can tell you WHAT dealers will honor the Cornerstone product. Different dealers are offering products other than the CNA product because they make a bigger commission on the sale. After all it is really an insurance product.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:40 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,355 Likes on 2,534 Posts

I've heard of a few cases where people have used the cna product. I have not heard any cases where they have had any problems using it.