General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How should a leather jacket fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:34 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should a leather jacket fit?

I ordered a Classic Motorcycle Jacket I from fox creek leather and im not sure if it fits right.
I measured my chest and am between a 39 and 40" and im 6'2 so I ordered a 40 tall. Got it today and its still short on me the front is barely at my waist line, and the back goes down a little farther as thats how its cut.

When I move my arms up and move them towards one another it feels a little tight in the upper arm/shoulder region and the arms go up a little past my wrists when I sit down with my arms outstretched. So Im thinking I should go up a size, but am not sure if motorcycle jackets are supposed to be like that or not. Its fits my body fine, as im tall and thin, the belt on the jacket is already on the last notch and could actually be tightened further, so im worried a larger size may not fit in the body well.

How do you guys wear your jackets?

Old 05-24-2007, 01:38 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: How should a leather jacket fit?

You are correct. It does not fit properly. Call Fox Creek. I do not have one of their products but people on this forum have had very good customer service from them, including exchanging jackets that are the wrong size.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:42 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

By the way, your jacket is too short and too tight in the shoulders/chest. I was under the impression that Fox Creek made their jackets to order after you give them your measurements. Call them and include your waist measurement if the waist is too large while the rest of the jacket is too small.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:47 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer

you can get custom made jackets from them, but they cost more(not sure how much more) and you cant return them so if I end up not liking it im screwed.

Im gonna call them tomorrow see what they have to say though, Its strange to me that their Tall jacket is shorter than the regulars ive tried on at the harley shop

Old 05-24-2007, 02:52 AM
07FattyTailgater
Advanced

Perhaps the particular style you're trying is not suited for your torso. If you go too big, the jacket might be long enough but too loose, and the jacket can ride up during a fall (ack, sorry to bring it up!). You want the leather to be there when you need it. That's why we gear up right? Good luck!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:03 AM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to A tailor and get your correct measurements.
mens wearhouse will do it free prolly as most would

ORIGINAL: bobbyd3

I ordered a Classic Motorcycle Jacket I from fox creek leather and im not sure if it fits right.
I measured my chest and am between a 39 and 40" and im 6'2 so I ordered a 40 tall. Got it today and its still short on me the front is barely at my waist line, and the back goes down a little farther as thats how its cut.

When I move my arms up and move them towards one another it feels a little tight in the upper arm/shoulder region and the arms go up a little past my wrists when I sit down with my arms outstretched. So Im thinking I should go up a size, but am not sure if motorcycle jackets are supposed to be like that or not. Its fits my body fine, as im tall and thin, the belt on the jacket is already on the last notch and could actually be tightened further, so im worried a larger size may not fit in the body well.

How do you guys wear your jackets?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:24 AM
belmac
Cruiser

i ordered one from them a couple of weeks ago when it came it was too small i called and they said no problem we will send you the next size and it will go out today on the honor system. can't beat that for customer service

Old 05-24-2007, 10:38 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got a couple of jackets and a vest from FC. Your jacket sounds too small. Give them a call tell them the problem and they'll send you a larger size. Then you can try both jackets on and see which fits better. Make sure not to use the jacket riding or they won't take it back(understandably). Their stuff tends to run on the small side. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
bladesmith
Advanced

I have a FC Classic 2.......I was undecided on exactly what style I wanted and was concerned about my sizing so they sent me samples to try on (one at a time)

I chose the 44 chest...Its a bit on the large side for me across the waist, but I have broad shoulders which often means I have to go up a size. I doubled the side lacing (hole to hole rather than an 'x' pattern) to make it a better fit around the waist. I also asked them to add 2 inches to the sleeve length (and leave off the eppaulettes).

All in all I must have sent three jackets back and two vests until I was satisfied with the fit. You have so many days to return the jacket 'as new'...they want you to be satisfied.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Tom Ricci
Tourer

ORIGINAL: bladesmith

I have a FC Classic 2.......I was undecided on exactly what style I wanted and was concerned about my sizing so they sent me samples to try on (one at a time)

I chose the 44 chest...Its a bit on the large side for me across the waist, but I have broad shoulders which often means I have to go up a size. I doubled the side lacing (hole to hole rather than an 'x' pattern) to make it a better fit around the waist. I also asked them to add 2 inches to the sleeve length (and leave off the eppaulettes).

All in all I must have sent three jackets back and two vests until I was satisfied with the fit. You have so many days to return the jacket 'as new'...they want you to be satisfied.
I ordered a Classic II from Fox Creek in a size 48 and when it arrived it fit chest/upper back & arms fine but the waist was way too big. I have a 32 inch waist. I sent that one back and ordered one with 6 inches taken out of the waist and while it cost $70.00 more for the custom size and I had to wait 6 weeks for it, it was well worth it. In the riding position it fits PERFECTLY even with some slack in the side adjustments. Best quality I've seen in a leather product and world-class customer service. Vent system works great too!

Quick Reply: How should a leather jacket fit?