General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How should a leather jacket fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 05:02 PM
2000fxdwg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How should a leather jacket fit?

Jacket should fit snug, I prefer short in front so that it doesn't push up when you ride. Basicaly, you want it to be as close as possible to your skin so that it doesn't flap. Bottom line,you have to be comfortable with it.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:47 PM
bobbyd3
Tourer

In reply to blade smith, how much did they charge you to get the extra 2 inches in the sleeves because I am gonna need that at least even with a larger size.

I am about to call fox creek now, just got back from day 2 of my MSF training class.
Only thing I worry about is that its gonna cost me like 20 bucks a return to send these jackets back so I dont want to do it to much, and am afraid that a custom jacket wont fit well either and ill be stuck with it

Old 05-24-2007, 06:53 PM
92classic
Banned

Mine is a size or two larger because most of the time wear my hoody sweatshirt under it.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:21 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobbyd3

you can get custom made jackets from them, but they cost more(not sure how much more) and you cant return them so if I end up not liking it im screwed.

Im gonna call them tomorrow see what they have to say though, Its strange to me that their Tall jacket is shorter than the regulars ive tried on at the harley shop

If you find one at the Harley shop that fits and you like it, buy it. Harley jackets are excellent quality and designed specifically for riding.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:18 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer

I called fox creek, they are gonna send me a size larger on the honor system but Its still gonna be to short, he measured it and said ill get maybe an inch in the sleeves and little less in body
I talked with them about custom made jackets.
I could get a 42" with a smaller lower body like of a 40" jacket, and longer sleeves and even get the jacket itself longer but it costs 10% per 2 inches, so thats $42 for the sleeves and then atleast another $42 to elongate the body, im not sure how far down the jacket should go. Ill have to see how the 42" fits and think.

I actually hit up my local harley shop again for the hell of it and tried on the jackets again. I tried on the cloth type ones (im sure its got a name) with the body armor in the sleeves and shoulders, but they were way to short, im talking at my belly button. Looked like I was wearing a little kids jacket, re-tried on the leather jacket thast similar to the one I bought. The jacket was slightly longer in the body than the fox creek one, but the sleeves went half way up my arms when I sat down and positioned my arms like I was riding. Plus the body was just way to blousy, wasnt form fitting and had nothing but a belt that needs about 4 more notches to adjust it.

Kinda sucks, I wanted to take my harley out tomorrow night after I finish the MSF course. Takes 6weeks for a custom jacket . I have a fairly thick heavy materialed jacket that I could wear. But not sure if that would be a smart move. But then again im not gonna go out on the thru-way my 2nd time on the bike.
Do these companies think only short stalky people ride bikes or something, ive never had so much trouble finding a piece of clothing in my life. Ive been to all kinds of stores, even tried on sport bike jackets and had no luck

Old 05-25-2007, 01:34 AM
sly
Intermediate

I ordered a vented racing jacket fromfoxcreek a fewweeks ago a 46 tallbecause I like to wear a hoodie under my jacket, it was too big in the shouldersand sleeves were too longsent it back and got a 44 and it was too small all around (too tight , short, and sleeves too short)a 46R might have fit but it cost me $30 to send the other 2 back so I was done trying, might note my first jacket was old stock and had a stand upcollar that snappedwhich I liked! the other jacket was new stockwith a snap collar but did not stand up, more like a baseball jacket look which I didn`t like.... I will say customer service was great just wish I could of tried one on in person to get the right fit

Old 05-25-2007, 02:09 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A motorcycle jacket needs to fit snugly so it doesn't flap in the wind. Plus, it should be short so when you sit it doesn't push get pushed up off your shoulders. The perfect length is when the belt, if it has one, of the jacket is right around the belt of your jeans when you're standing. And, unless you're riding a crotch rocket like it was your bitch back in the joint, you don't need the dropped back at all. Frankly, from the pictures, all Fox Creek jackets look too long to me.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:50 PM
bladesmith
Advanced

..The back of my FC is longer than the front but has additional padded to help protect the lower back. Need to think that if you come off and slide, chances are the back will ride up..the shorter it is on the back, the higher it will ride up and the more exposed your back is...so imo, a bit exra length in the back is important..