General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline quality?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016 | 08:57 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 0maha
All gas in a given area starts out in the same place, those huge tanks where it is stored coming out of the pipeline. It doesn't matter which station you go to, you're getting gas that started there. BP/Shell/etc gas and Fast Eddie's Bait Shop gas start out in the same tank.

All gas in the US has detergents added. These really do work to keep injectors from fouling. They also keep intake valves cleaner.

"Top Tier" has more detergents. They are added at the very end of the distribution chain. Top Tier starts as the same gas as all the rest in your local terminal.

There is no way, even in theory, to notice the difference between standard and Top Tier right away. The difference occurs over thousands of miles in terms of less deposit build up.

Most "bad gas" experiences have nothing to do with any of this. Bad gas is almost always a case of poorly maintained pumps/tanks/vents at the particular station.

Ethanol will run fine, but it does have lower energy density. It is also a stupid idea for helping the environment, but that is another topic. E10 has about 98% of the energy content of regular gas, which isn't enough to actually notice in terms of mileage (too many other variables).

Gas has become much better over the past 25 years as FI has become ubiquitous. Iffy gas that will run just fine through a carb can screw up injectors, but again, those are mostly long term effects.
All correct points but, no matter what product, origin or facility that dipences it, the product quality will breakdown over time.

Also I would add, with EPA enforcement across the states, there is not a lot of leeway with regards to in ground storage of auto fuels. If you find a fueling location that is out of compliance, I would be shocked and certainly would be skeptical of making a fill up there if you happen across one. This comes as an enforcement not only from EPA but from the fuel distributor level.

Last edited by Taggs; 08-29-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2016 | 12:28 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

Just dont buy gas at Costco. Top Tier or not, that crap made my bike Ping like crazy and threw and engine code on my car.

Old 08-29-2016 | 12:32 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Most of the gas for my 2015 LR (and all previous sport bikes) and my Camaros has been Shell V-Power. Never had any issues. I sometimes get BP 93 (their version of V-Power) when I cannot get to a Shell station. I stopped at Casey's (anyone in N IL will know what I am talking about) last Fri on my way home from work and pulled up to the pumps. All they had was 87 and 89 gas. Drove a little further to a Shell station. Made it with little to spare.

Old 08-29-2016 | 05:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Gasoline is a highly regulated product. It is a blend of compounds identical in each of the 26 zones mandated by EPA. Branding occurs at the tank farm when the truck driver adds the few parts per million of additive that makes it whatever brand that it is going to. That is if it's not too cold or heavy rain for the driver to "forget about it."

What can happen is that at a low volume station the gas may have been in storage for some time and the volatile compounds may have evaporated some.

When traveling I always try to fill at high volume truck stops. That is not always possible in remote scenic ride areas so I carry additives.

Old 08-29-2016 | 07:39 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Gasoline is a highly regulated product. It is a blend of compounds identical in each of the 26 zones mandated by EPA. Branding occurs at the tank farm when the truck driver adds the few parts per million of additive that makes it whatever brand that it is going to. That is if it's not too cold or heavy rain for the driver to "forget about it."

What can happen is that at a low volume station the gas may have been in storage for some time and the volatile compounds may have evaporated some.

When traveling I always try to fill at high volume truck stops. That is not always possible in remote scenic ride areas so I carry additives.
You are correct on most points. The additizing process at the tank farm loading facilities is not only a very small product enhancement but a means of product identification to prevent product commingling.

The transport driver is only allowed to start the loading when the correct login steps are taken to engage the loading of the transport for a branded product. That isn't to say that commingling of auto fuels doesn't occur.

Last edited by Taggs; 08-29-2016 at 08:59 PM.