General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline quality?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016 | 08:01 PM
Baldy 48
Cruiser

STP 17437 Ultra 5-in-1 Fuel System Cleaner - 12 fl. oz.

I add a few ounces every fill up and all the little glitches went away.. The gas up here is that bad.

Old 08-28-2016 | 09:11 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior

We rode up North and were riding back down Hwy 1. When I was low on gas we had to stop at a little old general store/gas on the north coast. We were tripping out on the old school analogue gas pump when my bike started upchucking the gas I was trying to feed it. It was on empty but would only take a gallon or so....It was like she was rejecting it! And ran like crap all the way to the next stop.

Husband's bike took it fine, but not mine. We made it to Fort Bragg and filled up the next morning at a Chevron, no problems since. I'm glad I didn't try to fill it up. We just chaulked it up to "rot gut" gas.

Old 08-29-2016 | 12:16 AM
garyalan7
Intermediate

QT is top tier certified, btw

Old 08-29-2016 | 06:16 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member

recent trip, bought shell in Bismarck ND. bike ran like crap, threw 3 codes. stopped. put seafoam in and cleared codes.

bike continued to run bad all the way to fargo, 150 miles sway.

stopped filled tank at a caseys store only 87 octane available, more seafoam and cleared codes again.

finally started to run better by time i got to St Paul. 450 miles of crap running to clean out fuel system.
shell is not always the best.

Old 08-29-2016 | 06:26 AM
oct1949
Club Member

The biggest difference (drop) I notice is when and if I have to use gas with "Ethanol" in it regardless of who sells it..
I know who sells gas with it in it around here and I won't use it unless it's an emergency in any of my vehicles..

Old 08-29-2016 | 07:19 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior

IMHO, With my time in the petroleum industry this sounds possibly more like a turnover time issue with product storage. We all are aware of the breakdown over time or shelf life of auto fuels due to additives/ ethanol. Many of your rural, mom and pop fuel stops experience a long time turnover period of their product. Depending on their supplier, they could very well be on a will call as needed resupply contract. This can be stretching out to the limits on fuel shelf life in storage hence, very low quality products for retail sales.

Myself, when on the road I will look for what would at least seem to be a heavily visited fuel location. It usually indicates a much higher turnover of their fuel products.

Last edited by Taggs; 08-29-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-29-2016 | 07:28 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member

It's the ethanol weasel **** IMHO. S***ing up my old classics fuel systems regularly.

Thank your crooked bought and bribed government. The EPA is used for politics, payoffs and political punishment. Typical DNC pro big government control of the masses.
Big business owns most corn.
They bribe the scum politicraps to mandate ethanol.
WE get screwed again.
Demonrats and RINO's claim it's for the environment. BIG F'IN LIE- It's for the bribes they take.

Old 08-29-2016 | 07:51 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

All gas in a given area starts out in the same place, those huge tanks where it is stored coming out of the pipeline. It doesn't matter which station you go to, you're getting gas that started there. BP/Shell/etc gas and Fast Eddie's Bait Shop gas start out in the same tank.

All gas in the US has detergents added. These really do work to keep injectors from fouling. They also keep intake valves cleaner.

"Top Tier" has more detergents. They are added at the very end of the distribution chain. Top Tier starts as the same gas as all the rest in your local terminal.

There is no way, even in theory, to notice the difference between standard and Top Tier right away. The difference occurs over thousands of miles in terms of less deposit build up.

Most "bad gas" experiences have nothing to do with any of this. Bad gas is almost always a case of poorly maintained pumps/tanks/vents at the particular station.

Ethanol will run fine, but it does have lower energy density. It is also a stupid idea for helping the environment, but that is another topic. E10 has about 98% of the energy content of regular gas, which isn't enough to actually notice in terms of mileage (too many other variables).

Gas has become much better over the past 25 years as FI has become ubiquitous. Iffy gas that will run just fine through a carb can screw up injectors, but again, those are mostly long term effects.

The following 2 users liked this post by 0maha:
cookiemech (08-29-2016), jakenok (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016 | 08:02 AM
01fxdxt
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjrfd99
It's the ethanol weasel **** IMHO. S***ing up my old classics fuel systems regularly.

Thank your crooked bought and bribed government. The EPA is used for politics, payoffs and political punishment. Typical DNC pro big government control of the masses.
Big business owns most corn.
They bribe the scum politicraps to mandate ethanol.
WE get screwed again.
Demonrats and RINO's claim it's for the environment. BIG F'IN LIE- It's for the bribes they take.
Haha,DUDE,Have a Snickers...
The sky is NOT falling....

Old 08-29-2016 | 08:08 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 01fxdxt
Haha,DUDE,Have a Snickers...
The sky is NOT falling....
Falling sky or not, he's exactly right.

Ethanol mandates and subsidies are a near perfect expression of the systemic insanity you get when politics, cronyism and environmentalism come together.

The following users liked this post:
jakenok (08-29-2016)

Quick Reply: Gasoline quality?