General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline quality?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016 | 11:13 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

I think Top Tier gas is a marketing gimmick.

I see no difference between Shell & BP and the other local brand gas companies in performance and mileage.

The following users liked this post:
jakenok (08-29-2016)
Old 08-28-2016 | 11:18 AM
WideRyder
5th Gear

I use Valero and haven't had any issues as of now, however I also haven't been comparing different fuel. I'm curious to try out shell now and see if it comes with benefits. What are your go to fuel stations around your respective areas?

Old 08-28-2016 | 11:46 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain

Note that both Mobil and Valero are Top Tier.

Old 08-28-2016 | 12:41 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

AZ, more then likely it is poor quality fuel or the ethynol % is too high percentage, or water in fuel. Corn gas kills mpg. Riders and drivers under estimate the importance of fuel quality. Name brand fuel from a high volume station is the best plan. If you can buy pure gas in your area, regular or premium, your bike will run better and increase mpg. Can you run corn gas in you Harley, yes. Will it run better on pure gas, yes. Top tier fuel is a good investment. If I have multiple stations to select from, I choose Chevron, due to the Techron additive which is the most effective additive on the market.

Last edited by checkers; 08-28-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2016 | 01:15 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Default Differences in Gasoline Quality

I had the same question myself about gasoline quality. Really the only way to tell for sure is to run a test, which I decided to do by trying different kinds of gasoline in my motorcycles. I did make a point to always run the recommended octane level, if possible. I started testing in 1971 and have run probably hundreds of different brands of gasoline through 19 different motorcycles. So far the only problem has been when a leaky petcock on my 441 BSA let gas dribble into the carburater all winter, causing a deposit. You more recent riders do know what a petcock is right?
I'll let you know when the results are in!

Old 08-28-2016 | 01:32 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Next In Line
I think Top Tier gas is a marketing gimmick.

I see no difference between Shell & BP and the other local brand gas companies in performance and mileage.
Have you measured?

Old 08-28-2016 | 02:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by AussieDog
I had the same question myself about gasoline quality. Really the only way to tell for sure is to run a test, which I decided to do by trying different kinds of gasoline in my motorcycles. I did make a point to always run the recommended octane level, if possible. I started testing in 1971 and have run probably hundreds of different brands of gasoline through 19 different motorcycles. So far the only problem has been when a leaky petcock on my 441 BSA let gas dribble into the carburater all winter, causing a deposit. You more recent riders do know what a petcock is right?
I'll let you know when the results are in!

God that brings back some memories, had one of those back in the early 70's

Old 08-28-2016 | 02:19 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member

You should try obamagas. It's supposed to be great for cars, bikes, rheumatism, backaches - pretty much whatever ails you.

http://www.live5news.com/story/14656...his-photo-real

Last edited by kontiki; 08-28-2016 at 02:34 PM.
jakenok (08-29-2016)
Old 08-28-2016 | 02:59 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AZdryheat
Buddy and I noticed our bikes seemed to be a little off in performance during a ride from Tucson to Bisbee. My bike was down in power and the MPG was way down. He has a 2010 Limited and had filled up at a Fry's station in Tucson and I had filled up at a QT. On the way back we stopped at a Shell and, for whatever reason, that gas seemed to wake up our bikes. My bike had better power and my MPG got a lot better. We're thinking we got some bad gas but from two different stations? Is Shell gas that good or the other gas that bad? Could we have been victims of a too low octane coming out of the high octane pumps?
You might have answered your own question. On a couple of occasions, I didn't have a choice and I stopped at the only station available and I ran into the same problem that you did. My mileage and performance went down also. I also stopped at the next town, bought some gas at a station where I recognized the name and things changed for the better.

Old 08-28-2016 | 06:28 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member

A steady diet of Shell 93 octane is what I feed my motor but that is what we dyno-tuned it for. Where I live Shell gasoline is a superior blend.

Want to feed your motor ****? Go right ahead. It's your motor.

HenryT (08-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Gasoline quality?