General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack needed-searched but cannot find the answer-Deluxe and 1200L

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007 | 11:03 PM
commander112
|
Road Master
Default Jack needed-searched but cannot find the answer-Deluxe and 1200L

Alright, I have searched and searched but cannot find anyone that has the same concerns that I do regarding which jack to use. I ride a Softail Deluxe and my wife rides a 1200 Low and Iwant a stable, easy to use jack that will slide under both frames without requiring me to use a 2x12 to lift the rear of the bike. I kind of like that the red Craftsman jackuses foot controlsfreeing up my handsto stablize the bike but it will not slide under the Deluxe without the use of a board. On the other hand, the yellow one will slide under the bike but does not seem as stable nor does itkeep my hands free as it uses a twisthand control to raise and lower. So far, I have not found anything that fits the bill here. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, what is the real deal about hitting the shocks on a softail, do you need the orange rubber things for the frame rails?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 05-23-2007 | 11:06 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Jack needed-searched but cannot find the answer-Deluxe and 1200L

dunno, but my understanding was that the orange HD spacers were mainly for the dynas. i have the yellow sears jack, and do have to drive the front tire up on a 2x4 to get enough clearance. other than that, really like the jack.

Old 05-23-2007 | 11:52 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

I had the red Sears jack at first, found it too much trouble to ride up on 2x lumber, or jack the bike up with another floor jack, the arms would always get in the way of the oil changes too. Sold it last winter, bought the yellow aluminum jack from Sears and have found it to be very easy to use, stable and a whole lot easier to move around and store than the red one.

Old 05-24-2007 | 12:03 AM
commander112
|
Road Master

Thanks Dglide. That is exactly what I needed to hear. Anyone want to second these comments. What bikes do you use with this jack Dglide?

Old 05-24-2007 | 12:08 AM
kwoozn
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: DGlide04the yellow aluminum jack from Sears and have found it to be very easy to use, stable and a whole lot easier to move around and store than the red one.
Great timing on the jack issue!
I just unboxed the yellow Sears, tried it on the bike.
Was kinda skeerd lifting it up.....alone!
Can you give me a short run down on how you lift the bike and still feel it's stable?
I lifted from the jiffy stand side, right or wrong?
How far under the bike are you placing it?
Also putting it back down, itwanted to drop rather sudden, at least I thought.
I've worked on alot of cars using every type of jack there is, but this is the first time on bike!
I'm riding a Road Glide if that makes any difference.
Thanks!!

Old 05-24-2007 | 12:38 AM
commander112
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: kwoozn
Can you give me a short run down on how you lift the bike and still feel it's stable?
I've worked on alot of cars using every type of jack there is, but this is the first time on bike!
Thanks!!
You are better off using it from the right side. Keep the jiffy stand down just in case. My understanding it that you really need to just get the valve cracked so that it barely starts to drop it will then speed up and come down nice and slow.

Old 05-24-2007 | 01:14 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

ORIGINAL: commander112

Alright, I have searched and searched but cannot find anyone that has the same concerns that I do regarding which jack to use. I ride a Softail Deluxe and my wife rides a 1200 Low and I want a stable, easy to use jack that will slide under both frames without requiring me to use a 2x12 to lift the rear of the bike. I kind of like that the red Craftsman jack uses foot controls freeing up my hands to stablize the bike but it will not slide under the Deluxe without the use of a board. On the other hand, the yellow one will slide under the bike but does not seem as stable nor does it keep my hands free as it uses a twist hand control to raise and lower. So far, I have not found anything that fits the bill here. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, what is the real deal about hitting the shocks on a softail, do you need the orange rubber things for the frame rails?

Thanks,
Mark

I have a Low Rider. The Sears yellow jack is what I have now. I tried the red one and took it back the next day.

I have to use the Dyna blocks. Here is the procedure I use.

The sears yellow jack is a lower profile than the red one. I have a bad back so I was cautious the first time I did this. I bought the Harley Dyna blocks for one reason only. They slip onto the frame and stay there.

This works for me. BE CAREFUL.

I put the blocks on the frame in the position shown on the sheet.

I get the jack ready to roll under the frame, no extention platforms on the jack.

The block on the left rear I pull on the bottom of it till the bottom is pointed at a 45 degree angle away from the Dyna.

I then sit and pull up the kick stand. Then I lean over and push down the block. Very Carefully.

Now I grab the jack handle and roll the jack under.

I give it a couple of pumps till it makes contact.

Once it makes contact I lean over to see if the jack is positioned on the blocks. If it is.

Then a few pumps and me and the Dyna go up.

If not reposition the jack and try again.

Old 05-24-2007 | 01:22 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: kwoozn

ORIGINAL: DGlide04the yellow aluminum jack from Sears and have found it to be very easy to use, stable and a whole lot easier to move around and store than the red one.
Great timing on the jack issue!
I just unboxed the yellow Sears, tried it on the bike.
Was kinda skeerd lifting it up.....alone!
Thanks!!
Here is a little write up I did about2 weeks ago to answer the same question that someone else asked about the yellow Sears jack on this forum. I hope this helps.

I have the same Sears jack as you do and my front wheel does come up off the floor a little ahead of the rear wheel but it is very stable when raised up.I slide the jack under the bike while it's on the Jiffy stand right in front of the cross member from the right side of the bike, not the Jiffy stand side. I then just start jacking it up slowly while holding on to the throttle side of the handlebars. It then comes right up off the Jiffy stand slowly and rocks right onto the jack. I then just lift it slowly to the height that I want by using one of the 4 available detent places it locks into. Then when I lower it I raise it slightly up off the detent lock spot that it's locked intoand move the detent locking piece into it's holder and slowly lower the bike onto it's wheels and I hold on to the throttle part of the handle bars and let it slowly go back on the Jiffy stand. Of course make sure your Jiffy stand is in the down position. I like the Yellow Sears Pro lift because it goes much lower and you can position it right where you want it because you don't have to sitting on the bike. You bought the right Sears jack. I have some pictures of my RK on thelift and where I position it under the bike it you need to see them. Anyway, that's how I do it with the Sears Yellow Jack. I hope I didn't confuse you.

Old 05-24-2007 | 04:03 AM
kwoozn
Road Captain

Thanks!
Im flying back home in the early a.m.
Actually, the car will be here in 4.5 hours to take me to the airport!
I'll reread your reply and try it, sounds like the way to go!
I do like the weight of it though.
All I could think of while lifting it was, "I wish I would have watched the video on righting your bike by yourself!"
Have a good holiday!!

Old 05-24-2007 | 06:59 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

If you want good quality and simple to use without 2 X 4's, etc, check out J & S.

Quick Reply: Jack needed-searched but cannot find the answer-Deluxe and 1200L