General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a sidecar

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:26 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thinking about a sidecar

Okay, I have wanted one for a long time. I bought an 07' softail deluxe last year and want to know if a sidecar would work on it. Also, approx. how much are they?

Old 05-24-2007, 12:52 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was driving around on the back roads near Eureka Springs last year, and i noticed a bike with side car coming towards me from the other direction. as it got closer, i was shocked. the bike had a side car on both sides, and the driver was sitting in one of the side cars, with no one else on the bike. wish i could have turned around and got to see the set-up closer. apparently he had some type of steering and braking setup in the side car. Weird to say the least.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/322D782FA67C487AAC74F9EAB738052A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: gman

i was driving around on the back roads near Eureka Springs last year, and i noticed a bike with side car coming towards me from the other direction. as it got closer, i was shocked. the bike had a side car on both sides, and the driver was sitting in one of the side cars, with no one else on the bike. wish i could have turned around and got to see the set-up closer. apparently he had some type of steering and braking setup in the side car. Weird to say the least.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/322D782FA67C487AAC74F9EAB738052A.jpg[/IMG]
Would be intersting to see. I think the overall width would be an issue.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I think I'd rather have a trike if I wasn't able to ride on two wheels for whatever reason. In addition to the sidecar costs, I would imagine you would have to upgrade the motor significantly, especially if you were to carry two passengers!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:50 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Road Toad

Didn't know Harley made side cars. Got a link?
Hey Bill, I asked for opinions, ain't gonna flame anybody for giving one, besides you gave me a good deal on those wind deflectors for my softail, I gotta be nice to you.
I figure I will loose some power and mileage, but Momma is getting a little stiff jointed, and I think she could get in and out of a side car easier than on and off my Ultra. Besides, I can take the side car off if I want, and I still have the softail. A trike would be permanent. But I want any and all opinions.
Toad,
First, Harley does not make a side car that fits Softail models, only FLHTs
Second, you don't want one if your Honey is having trouble getting on/off the bike, the Harley sidecar is a bear to get into/out of.
Look at the California Frendship or Hannigan, theyhave a tip up nose that makes it easy to get into.
Side cars are the wierdest thing that you have ever driven...accelerate right, decelerate left. There's more to it but you get the idea. That said they are a hoot to drive, more visable on the road than a two wheeler and an instant conversation starter no mater where you go.
I've had one for 8 years now and still enjoy taking it out, my boy, one of his friends and I are heading for Rolling Thunder this afternoon in it and you just can't do that with only two wheels. It was also an excuse to get a Buell, you know, "I can't take the side car everywhere hon"

DC

Old 05-24-2007, 03:06 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that last one is from http://www.national3wheelers.org.au/Trike%20Sale.html

Old 05-24-2007, 05:30 PM
redscout
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a '90 FLHTC with the factory TLE for about 2 years... Loved the bike, but hated the sidecar. Even took the sidecar training course through Evergreen, but never much liked the rig. Took muscle and those right turns could be scary, even if you're weight shifting like you're supposed to. Before I bought that one, I tried getting a smaller bike set up with one and had a helluva time finding people that knew enough about how to trim them correctly. At least around here. The Kurt guy in Illinois seems to be the expert, but he was always so busy you couldn't get an appointment. And not set up right, these things a an even bigger pain in the butt, besides being dangerous.

I know some people love them, but until I'm too infirm to hold one up, I think I'll stick to 2 wheels.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:41 PM
helixhippie
Road Master

My Bro has one on his 03 Fatty. Hold a BIG beer cooler...........
As you can see, his 5 year-old loves it too!

[IMG]local://upfiles/26826/9B1F0E6AEF194CF4A1B515607EFD7CF5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26826/ACC70556E7F34471A2D8422CC7C1F433.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-24-2007, 05:48 PM
hondaherb
Road Captain

I added a California sidecar to my Goldwing when my daughter was born and rode it for 16 years until she got her own bike. It does take some getting used to, like they say, better than not riding. When you take off, it drags to the right and stopping it pushes to the left, but you get used to it.The ride depends on how it is set up, I could set the cruise control at 75mph and let go of the handlebars and it tracked perfect, if not set up right, they pull at you all the time. Sidecars are always an attention getter, center of attention anywhere you go. California sidecar makes 4 different models, including 2 that open to make it easier to get into. email me at hondaherb@vci.net if you have more questions. herb

Old 05-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I talked to California Side Car today, and faxed them my order. Should get it in about a month. Couple of days to install it, and then do some local riding to get the hang of it before our month long multi thousand mile trip. Ordering the Freindship II SE. Think the lift up front will make Momma happy and comfy.
A little more storage room and Mommas comfort should be ablt to do a lot more miles each day and get to where we are wanting to go.

Thanks for all the input. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a sidecar