General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a Harley CHEAP if it doesn't run?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 04:13 PM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Someone was selling one (103) on here not long ago.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:19 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 860 Likes on 650 Posts

A non-running bike takes a special kind of buyer.
The type of buyer that has tools, knows how to use the tools and has the time to use the tools.
It could be a nice deal or it could be a money pit.
The purchase price is only one part.
Condition is everything.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:25 PM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 349 Likes on 149 Posts

If it was worth repairing the guy selling it would have repaired it. If you want to get the bike to fix up and keep and it's a model you want then that's one thing. If it's a flip, you're about 10 years too late for that program. There are 100 bikes for sale for every buyer. There are tons of guys out there who realize this and "fire sales" are everywhere.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:29 PM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

As long as the engine is not seized, there is nothing much which can go wrong.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:46 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

friend just bought a 2000 road king with 8000 miles on it for $6200. looks brand new still. i would want to hear it run first and then beat the guy up on the price.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:25 PM
crazytown
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 551 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by glasspilot
Let me be the devils advocate. If he's never checked the cam chain tensioners, maybe they exploded and have ruined the internals. I would definitely see if the engine turns over and listen for noise down at the cam chest. I agree that one year old fuel should not have turned to gum yet. (Open the fuel fill and smell.)

If he won't let you turn the engine over, you know all you need to, walk away.
That's the first thing I thought of also. The cam chest will probably need work at the least, could be messy at the worst. The fuel tank stuff is a non-issue within that time frame given by the OP IMO.

To give a reference, I bought my 03 RKC injected with 33k from an estate. The bike sat in storage for 7 years with a half tank of gas sitting in it. The bike would run, but ran crappy. In that case, I did replace the bulk of the fuel system (pump, filter, fuel lines, injectors). I replaced the cam chain tensioners, bearings, and other crap over the winter. Runs like a freakin top now; absolutely love it.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:48 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by C2DJ
I have the opportunity to buy a 2002 Road King with 42,000 miles for $4,000, possibly a little less. From the pics in the listing, it is very clean with plenty of added chrome/accessories. The story is that the tank needs to be cleaned because it has been sitting for a year. I believe the bike is fuel injected and I plan to attempt to connect an external fuel source and a good battery to try to at least start it. I also plan to check compression on the engine. My question is if others think this is sounds like a good enough deal to take the chance without actually being able to ride it. It seems like a selling price, in my area, could easily be $7,000 and above in the Spring with it running. Thank you for any input you may have on this subject.
If it looks like you said (very clean) I would make sure the engine turns over has compression and risk $4K. Worse case scenario you can part it out and make some dollars.

I would have to hear the rest of the story from the owner as to why it has sat for a year and why they are selling. Could be as simple as a death in the family, divorce etc... Or it could be that there is a lot wrong with the bike that he is not telling you and he simply did not have the $$ to fix it and is hoping to dump it off

I guess the real question is do you have the tools, money and knowledge to get the bike running if you are looking at it for your personal use. If not then you may be stepping off in a hole and end up with a $4K lawn ornament

Old 08-16-2016, 07:00 AM
Bigfoot21075
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Ha a CLEAN 42 k mile Road king that does not run for 4k? In a second.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:59 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 222 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigfoot21075
Ha a CLEAN 42 k mile Road king that does not run for 4k? In a second.
or an ultra classic;

Old 08-16-2016, 08:06 AM
C2DJ
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Do you know the guy? I'm always skeptical taking the seller's word for something like that.

It's mid-August. Guy is trying to sell a non-runner. You're holding all the cards.

I'd pound the crap out of him on that price to give yourself as much headroom as possible for other issues that come up.

How confident are you in your $7k figure? Seems high to me, particularly for the miles. If you're looking at this as a potential flip, I think you need to be thinking more like $5,500 to $6k as your sell price.

I think I agree with this. It is not a bike I want to keep, but I would like to play with it over the winter, so I think I will sleep on it for a couple of weeks, if it is still there, try to get it for $3,000-3500, leaving room for profit for a worst case scenario spring sale of $5,500.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a Harley CHEAP if it doesn't run?