General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding Horn Button in Emergency

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017 | 05:25 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

My older bikes had the high beam button where the horn button should have been. I use the horn more then the high beam switch. It was awkward trying to hit the horn button in a emergency. Looks like someone from the MOCO actually took a bike for a ride, and discovered the mistake and switched them on newer bikes.,,,

Old 06-28-2017 | 06:29 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

There's always the handlebar mounted horn

The following users liked this post:
SBRob (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017 | 09:40 PM
LifeSaverHorn.com
Banned
Default free giveaway

Send me a message in the next 24 hours with your mailing address and black or chrome choice and I will send you a free LifeSaverHorn set.

Obviously, this is a serious offer to promote my business and message, so no clowns please.

Old 07-12-2017 | 05:12 PM
GregGillette
Road Master

Well heres an honest review based on his offer. Did not work for me. I have Avon grips and the wide grip doesn't work well for fit. Had it fit my grips, I think it still would not have worked for me. You give up some significant grip area for the mounting of the unit. I was under the impression it mounted further in at housing. It sits in the grip area and doesn't make for a usable surface. Sorry dude.
My grip

Where my hand lands on grip

Device mount area

Old 07-12-2017 | 05:51 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain

Haven't had a horn in a while, never used it when I did. Just clutch in and rev.

Old 07-12-2017 | 06:01 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by gusotto
I also cut a piece of plastic label-maker tape (red) and labeled it with a few characters to raise the label and it helps to find the horn button now, compared to a smooth horn button.
I also thought about doing something similar to this...glue something small on the button that my thumb can feel.

Old 07-12-2017 | 06:04 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by RK_Classic
Miss the damn thing all the time, HD needs to relocate the button to the middle of the seat so when you get those tense moments your *** will pucker up and blow it.

rk classic
Only one problem with that.... In an emergency situation, the button would be a shade of brown on my bike.

Old 07-12-2017 | 06:28 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
I've found that there is a really simple fix to the issue with the horn button. All I did was loosen the module, roll it slightly down to a better position then tighten it back up. After I did that, my thumb is now right in the middle between the horn button and the turn signal and it only takes a very slight move of my thumb to be able to hit either button. You might try that.
I decided to share my earlier reply because adjusting the module to position the horn button is such an easy job, it's not rocket science. After all, if the factory adjusted it to where they wanted it, I surely can do the same to move it to where I want it to be, easy.

Last edited by SPRINGER; 07-12-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2017 | 03:47 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master

Indeed, on a Harley (in my case a Limited) I can't find the logic in the place of some buttons. 90% of the buttons are in the right place, but especially the horn button and the headlight beam flashing button are on a very strange place. While the first thing you have to do to avoid coming into am hazardous situation is to sound your horn or in the darkness to flash your headlight beam. They call this 'ergonomics' and sometimes it is absent in the design department of the MoCo.

Old 07-13-2017 | 04:28 AM
L88
Road Master

Originally Posted by RK_Classic
Miss the damn thing all the time, HD needs to relocate the button to the middle of the seat so when you get those tense moments your *** will pucker up and blow it.

rk classic
Exactly!

Quick Reply: Finding Horn Button in Emergency