General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding Horn Button in Emergency

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016 | 01:35 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by gusotto
I do have the Wo-Lo horn and it is a lot louder.
They do notice you.

I also cut a piece of plastic label-maker tape (red) and labeled it with a few characters to raise the label and it helps to find the horn button now, compared to a smooth horn button.
GREAT IDEA!!! Kinda like a Braille button. Now to find my label maker!

Old 08-15-2016 | 01:44 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fryeca
Not a newbie to HD...have had a few, built two from the ground up. HORN BUTTONS!!! Over the years, the HD Horn Button has been an issue. I've practiced locating that Button several times over the years; in an emergency, sometimes I hit it, sometimes I miss and throw a Left Signal!!! I've even hovered my thumb over the switch in heavy traffic just waiting for the dumbass next to me to pull into my lane. Yesterday on my way home, traffic was slowing down rather fast in front of me, and merging into me from the right. Pulling in my clutch and finding the horn button induced sensory overload! My next logical thought was to blip the throttle to get the guy on my right to see me...it worked. Now I'm thinking; there's gotta be a better place for this horn button.
I've found that there is a really simple fix to the issue with the horn button. All I did was loosen the module, roll it slightly down to a better position then tighten it back up. After I did that, my thumb is now right in the middle between the horn button and the turn signal and it only takes a very slight move of my thumb to be able to hit either button. You might try that.

Old 08-15-2016 | 04:22 PM
JediGoalie30
Cruiser

So far, most of the times I've used my horn has been trying to get the local wildlife off the road. To be honest, the throttle seems to work better.

Old 08-15-2016 | 04:35 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

Same here, I'm always hitting the turn signal.
I think if they just swapped the 2 buttons, life would be much easier!

The following users liked this post:
fryeca (08-16-2016)
Old 06-27-2017 | 07:15 PM
LifeSaverHorn.com
Banned
Default Hey Fellas, check out my fix

Old 06-27-2017 | 07:17 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

LOL! Is that thing real?

Old 06-27-2017 | 11:35 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member

When I first bought my RK I was forever hitting the horn when I wanted to dim my lights, they were in the reverse positions from the previous bike.

Not a problem on my shovel, no turn signals and the for horn I have to push down on the ignition switch on the dash.

I seldom use the horn, I take evasive action while yelling a few choice words. Probably more effective.

Old 06-28-2017 | 10:48 AM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Red face Stock horns suck more than they blow...

Originally Posted by LifeSaverHorn.com

Saw something like/maybe this in the back one of the recent bike mags. I'll look for it and report back. It gives you much better contact/access to the horn with your thumb. Not sure how well they work but it looks like a cheap, I think was around $20, solution.

I am seriously thinking about adding a WOLO or air horn due to the anemic peep that comes from the stock horn... what a joke!

Old 06-28-2017 | 12:19 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Problem with the horn button is the location. It's positioned too high. Harley does lots of focus groups with existing owners. You'd think this topic would have come up.

Old 06-28-2017 | 04:41 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!

I still think the sphincter-activated horn would be one of the best inventions ever.

Quick Reply: Finding Horn Button in Emergency