General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding Horn Button in Emergency

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016 | 11:52 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ron750

On my Kawasaki the Horn and High beams were different shapes so you could feel which one you were on.
The problem with the Harley is you have to look at the switches to differentiate them, unless you cover them constantly. And when you need the horn, the last place you want to be looking is your handlebars.
An industry Standard location would be a good idea as I've said before. Turn sig and horn on cars are no?
I ride a few different M/C's and after a day on a non-HD when I do get back on the HD I reflexively hit the turn sig not the horn. The good old Japanese standard is on most bikes in the world. I think even the stubborn BMW Germans have seen the light.
Still the present HD self canceling are better than their old hold the button set up, that was really lame

Old 08-12-2016 | 12:36 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

I thought it was just me. "I'll show you, cager! I'm gonna flick on my left signal!"

I had a piece of blue tape on my horn button for a while. All my buttons are chrome, visually can't really distinguish. It boils down to muscle memory I think. I make a point to hit my horn starting out on each trip.

Although this has caused me to hit the horn instead of the left signal a couple times, lol, to the confusion of those driving near me.

Old 08-12-2016 | 02:08 PM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I've found that in a REAL emergency, I'm too busy trying to take evasive action to worry about the horn. If I have time to use the horn, it's not really an "emergency", I'm just angry for having been cut off.

Around here using the horn is the equivalent of flipping the bird anyway. It just makes the other driver mad.
Yep that has been my experience as well. I am two busy taking evasive action and never even think about the horn button until I am clear of whatever it was. To be honest its no different when I am in an automobile

Old 08-12-2016 | 02:17 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
Horns are for getting the attention of the hotty on the sidewalk.
I thought that's what loud pipes were for? Now I'm confused...

The following users liked this post:
fryeca (08-16-2016)
Old 08-12-2016 | 02:37 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
I've given people an earful of high beam myself.
That's me....but in reverse. I'm aiming for the high beams and hit the horn.

Old 08-12-2016 | 03:12 PM
jp49
Tourer

i mainly use my horn when i am going around a blind curve... i want the cars to be on their side of the road when they make a visual. my horn seems plenty loud it hits 102+ db.

Old 08-12-2016 | 03:35 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I don't have an issue with the horn button. I use it often enough. I also prefer the turn signal buttons on a Harley than I do on just about any other motorcycle.

Old 08-12-2016 | 03:43 PM
Jumper1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Queen-of-Clubs
Yep...drove me crazy my first night ride on the new bike.

Old 08-12-2016 | 04:25 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Queen-of-Clubs
Yup, you got that right. Horn is large button right over left turn signal button, have to reach over it to hit low beam. Until I saw this thread, I thought the Harley set up was pretty easy to use.
I like the Triumph push to cancel turn signal as if I signal a turn early, it always shuts off before the turn. But as motorcycles go, I always thought the current Harley set up was okay. I'd like the ability to double click the turn signal and have it stay on for three times the length as a single click, slowing down not withstanding.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-12-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2016 | 08:47 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior

Think I've used my horn about once. Never find it in an emergency, doubt it would help anyway. Brakes or throttle best bet i think.

The following users liked this post:
fryeca (08-16-2016)

Quick Reply: Finding Horn Button in Emergency