General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding Horn Button in Emergency

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016 | 04:37 PM
Krustee
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Like Krustee said

I think there should be a horn switch in the seat - when your butt starts to clinch up real fast the horn should go off!
We could call it the Glute Toot.

The following 2 users liked this post by Krustee:
BobRed0965 (08-15-2016), fryeca (08-16-2016)
Old 08-11-2016 | 04:41 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Krustee
We could call it the Glute Toot.

Old 08-11-2016 | 05:14 PM
Krustee
Road Captain

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Goodnight, everybody.

Dan

Old 08-11-2016 | 06:42 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member

As many have stated, I usually wind up hitting the left turn signal button. Harley's always had the horn button in one of the worst locations for decades. Why would they change?

They do it on purpose.

Old 08-11-2016 | 09:41 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

The other day I knew a pickup truck was going to pull out right in front of me, because he didn't check both ways. I was easily able to avoid him but wanted to give him some horn, to alert him to the fact that he is an idiot. I was in perfect position to scare the crap out of him with a horn blast, and gave him some high beams instead.

On my Kawasaki the Horn and High beams were different shapes so you could feel which one you were on.
The problem with the Harley is you have to look at the switches to differentiate them, unless you cover them constantly. And when you need the horn, the last place you want to be looking is your handlebars.

Old 08-11-2016 | 09:46 PM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser

Never really noticed this until it happened to me the other day in Halifax, dumbass blew his yield sign and damn near plowed straight into me with his driver side door.

I saw him coming so I was ready and moved over, but when we finally stopped at a light, a good twist of the throttle got his attention so I could yell at him that his stupid *** almost left my kids without a father because he was too lazy to shoulder check. *****.

Glad my Dad taught me to "ride like you're invisible."

Old 08-12-2016 | 07:02 AM
gusotto
Road Master

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
At one point, I was tempted to get a Wo-Lo because the stock horn sucks.
I do have the Wo-Lo horn and it is a lot louder.
They do notice you.

I also cut a piece of plastic label-maker tape (red) and labeled it with a few characters to raise the label and it helps to find the horn button now, compared to a smooth horn button.

Old 08-12-2016 | 11:17 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain

That video just shows a d-bag riding like a d-bag. Many of those situations were easily foreseeable. He placed himself in so many precarious positions that I doubt the guy is even alive today.

My motto: Drive first, ride second, horn third.

I put myself behind the wheel in every car around me and ask whats the stupidest thing I could do...then I expect that. So I change where I am to make it not an issue. If something does happen unexpectedly, I Ride it like I stole it. I get the flock out of that situation. The Horn is last just to let someone know they're being a d-bag.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (07-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2016 | 11:18 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

In an emergency, forget the horn and worry about braking and driving. Horns are for getting the attention of the hotty on the sidewalk.

Old 08-12-2016 | 11:44 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
In an emergency, forget the horn and worry about braking and driving. Horns are for getting the attention of the hotty on the sidewalk.
Sometimes there is no braking and driving.
Last year I was waiting at a mall exit to pull out onto a 4 lane. The car in front of me was driven by a 16 year old girl. She pulled out halfway onto the road, I was about 10 feet behind her. She changed her mind, and backed up. I had to jump off my bike, and yell. She stopped an inch away from my bike. Would have been nice to have a loud, easily accessible horn.
When your stationary on a bagger, you're not backing up in a hurry.

The following users liked this post:
rjg883c (07-14-2017)

Quick Reply: Finding Horn Button in Emergency