General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding Horn Button in Emergency

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016 | 09:32 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

My finger is always on the horn button in urban areas.

Old 08-11-2016 | 09:36 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by HardRider1
I guess many here can't handle an evasive move while at the same time sounding the horn. Yes the horn button is in an inconvenient location whereby the left signal switch is closer to the thumb, but, my point is not in regards to switch positioning but rather to the effectiveness of the horn.

While in a situation where one needs to evade an intruding vehicle, many times sounding the horn while performing the evasive move alerts the driver (idiot) behind the wheel resulting in less evasiveness being required on the part of the cyclist.

The OP stated a true fact and was looking for input other than the wise cracks that I so often see here, I always attempt to live by the rule, if you don't anything good to say then don't say anything at all.

While in heavy traffic, I often, "cover" the horn button as well as the brake lever and yes the horn is effective in alerting most intruders, many times resulting in a much less extreme move on my part. Can I rely fully on this reaction, absolutely not, does it help, it sure does. Like so many other things we do to stay upright in traffic, the horn is just one on a long list of survival techniques!
"The OP stated a true fact and was looking for input other than the wise cracks that I so often see here, I always attempt to live by the rule, if you don't anything good to say then don't say anything at all" ... Maybe you should heed your own advice? Lighten up Alice.

The O.P. stated " Now I'm thinking; there's gotta be a better place for this horn button" and in an effort to address queerie/concern I offered a solution. Plain and simple. Actually I thought it was quite clever too.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016 | 09:46 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Horn training here..

Old 08-11-2016 | 09:58 AM
psu2008
Advanced

When I've needed it, it's taken a second to find naturally, but I usually don't use it. Just evasive action and curse words.

Old 08-11-2016 | 10:19 AM
SpockJenkins
Tourer

I find the easiest way to hit the horn, is to attempt to switch on the high beams...

Old 08-11-2016 | 10:24 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rogillio
Having said that, I have a habit of putting my thumb on the horn button if I see someone with the potential of pulling out in front of me.

Me too. And I STILL hit the damn left blinker.

Old 08-11-2016 | 11:00 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I've found that in a REAL emergency, I'm too busy trying to take evasive action to worry about the horn. If I have time to use the horn, it's not really an "emergency", I'm just angry for having been cut off.

Around here using the horn is the equivalent of flipping the bird anyway. It just makes the other driver mad.

Best answer so far!

Old 08-11-2016 | 11:08 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Cool

If you keep hitting the left turn signal when going for the horn, then wire the horn to the left turn signal switch. Done.

Old 08-11-2016 | 11:10 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep, I've pretty much given up on finding it in a pinch. I can't tell you how many times Ive given ignorant drivers a hard LEFT TURN SIGNAL!

Old 08-11-2016 | 11:23 AM
Krustee
Road Captain

Maybe someone could develop sensors in the seat cover that detect the tightening of your butt cheeks.

Dan

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (08-11-2016)

Quick Reply: Finding Horn Button in Emergency