General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding Horn Button in Emergency

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017 | 05:11 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

I usually give the horn a tap when heading out for a ride, both to make sure it's working, and also to just embed the action a little further in muscle/brain memory. The way people drive these days, I use it more often than I imagined.

Old 07-14-2017 | 11:04 PM
Steevo12683
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Spark plug insulators have an amazing effect on auto glass. Auto glass SHATTERS into thousands of fragments when struck by a spark plug insulator. Insulator doesn't even have to be thrown very hard. It's like the ceramic insulator is magic to glass and the insulator turns into dust when it hits glass. There's nothing left. It's amazing. Try it sometime.

gonna try try this asap,, who doesn't love destruction,, bust some glass then spit in the windshield lmao

Thanks for sharing bubba

Old 07-14-2017 | 11:27 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

I will add one more thing. During the few occasions that I had to react very quickly to a situation, hitting the horn button wasn't even on my list of things to do, trying to avoid being hit was my top priority, the hell with the horn button.

Old 07-14-2017 | 11:34 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
I will add one more thing. During the few occasions that I had to react very quickly to a situation, hitting the horn button wasn't even on my list of things to do, trying to avoid being hit was my top priority, the hell with the horn button.
This. And honking might **** off the driver more, since in their eyes, they did nothing wrong...we did.

Old 07-14-2017 | 11:38 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

That's why I attempt to use my horn before the 'situation' occurs. Sort of a preemptive strike. Otherwise, there are times it is too late to do anything.

After real serious 'stuff' happens a horn, or other actions, can usually do nothing but give bystanders something to see and tell their friends about.

Last edited by rjg883c; 07-14-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2017 | 11:38 PM
LifeSaverHorn.com
Banned
Default In defense of my invention

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Well heres an honest review based on his offer. Did not work for me. I have Avon grips and the wide grip doesn't work well for fit. Had it fit my grips, I think it still would not have worked for me. You give up some significant grip area for the mounting of the unit. I was under the impression it mounted further in at housing. It sits in the grip area and doesn't make for a usable surface. Sorry dude.
My grip

Where my hand lands on grip

Device mount area

The grips on my 09 Rocker are 43mm in diameter; 02 Road King 44mm; 97 Road King 34mm. And they all fit and function well with both the standard clamp and custom clamp (photos and videos on my website). The standard clamp is a plain hose clamp that is rated to hold 21mm-44mm diameters and it opens up flat so I think you should be able to install it on most grips.

As for grip space, the device takes up 29mm of space but is only 4mm thick. On my riding grip, my thumb and index fingers overlap most of the 29mm without any problems. I would say the maximum grip space lost is less than 10mm.

Old 07-14-2017 | 11:55 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjg883c
That's why I attempt to use my horn before the 'situation' occurs. Sort of a preemptive strike. Otherwise, there are times it is too late to do anything.

After real serious 'stuff' happens a horn, or other actions, can usually do nothing but get bystanders to watch what is happening.
I agree. There have also been times when I have been forced to ride along the side of the road to avoid being hit by an oncoming car but instead of hitting the horn button, I just flipped them the bird. One time a Driver's Ed car, from the high school in my town, was right behind the car that I flipped the bird to. . I think the Driver's Ed teacher used my action as a visual aid to his students about watching out for other vehicles on the road because he just smiled and waved as he went past me.

Old 07-15-2017 | 12:06 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

I agree. There have also been times when I have been forced to ride along the side of the road to avoid being hit by an oncoming car but instead of hitting the horn button, I just flipped them the bird. One time a Driver's Ed car, from the high school in my town, was right behind the car that I flipped the bird to. . I think the Driver's Ed teacher used my action as a visual aid to his students about watching out for other vehicles on the road because he just smiled and waved as he went past me.
I agree a horn couldn't solve all problems, I just consider it another tool. Unfortunately sometimes, actually quite often, not being able to prevent/cope with a 'situation' means the 'game' is over.

Old 07-15-2017 | 07:30 AM
Motorcycle Mike
Advanced

I have a 2000 Road King police bike. The horn button is extended out, and in an excellent location.
Very easy to find, as it's closer to your thumb because it extends towards your thumb.
I wish I could find a kit of some sort to put one on my 2002 RK.

Old 07-15-2017 | 08:50 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mike
I have a 2000 Road King police bike. The horn button is extended out, and in an excellent location.
Very easy to find, as it's closer to your thumb because it extends towards your thumb.
I wish I could find a kit of some sort to put one on my 2002 RK.
I have seen a post, with a picture, from someone that put on an extension, offered by Harley. You might try a search or check the catalogue to see if it is offered for your scooter.

Quick Reply: Finding Horn Button in Emergency