General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding Horn Button in Emergency

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017 | 07:12 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Well heres an honest review based on his offer. Did not work for me. I have Avon grips and the wide grip doesn't work well for fit. Had it fit my grips, I think it still would not have worked for me. You give up some significant grip area for the mounting of the unit. I was under the impression it mounted further in at housing. It sits in the grip area and doesn't make for a usable surface. Sorry dude.
My grip

Where my hand lands on grip

Device mount area

I also have 'fat' grips so I moved my switch housing to the right and mounted mine on the handlebar between the grip and the switch housing. I have only tried it while sitting in the carport because it has been too hot to ride, or actually even to go outside, here. It seems to help finding the horn but the trade off is that the high beam switch is father away.

This could be useless in situations already too late for 'making noise' by pulling in the clutch and revving the engine, or taking evasive action, to help because a cage is already too far into a rider's space. But I have found, over the last 50 years of year around riding, that if a cage driver notices me it helps prevent them from doing something I don't want them to do. A horn has prevented a need for 'evasive' action for me several times, could be many times but I couldn't know how many cagers became aware of my presence because of my horn and that has helped prevent them from 'invading' my space.

Even one time could be very significant. Think of a horn as another arrow in a quiver.

To me a horn is sort of like a siren, more then just noise because it alerts people to the fact that something 'needs' their attention and they may need to alter their planned course of action.

Last edited by rjg883c; 07-13-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-13-2017 | 12:46 PM
Surfcitydude
Cruiser

I wired mine like the way its used on live television broadcasts. If someone pulls out or cuts me off, as soon as I start calling them a mother f%$#$%, the horn sounds bleeping out my words. I may just patent the devise. Maybe get one of those kick-starter thingy started.

Old 07-13-2017 | 12:54 PM
jimjlips
Cruiser

My V&H pipes are much louder than my horn and my hand is already wrapped around the volume control and it seems to get the attention faster

Old 07-13-2017 | 01:28 PM
01fxdxt
Stellar HDF Member

Horn?Emergency?Maybe you should be spending that energy braking or figure your trajectory.....

Old 07-13-2017 | 01:41 PM
George Tirebiter
5th Gear

I have the same problem too but there is an answer. Try this, it actually works:
https://www.lifesaverhorn.com/

The following users liked this post:
LifeSaverHorn.com (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017 | 01:59 PM
bradleys
Tourer

In this country we are very hesitant to use our horns in traffic, for some reason it is considered rude and or a representation of anger - akin to sticking your head out of the window and calling somebody a dumb ***.

I other countries using a horn is part of the drivers conversation with other vehicles, almost an extension of the turn signal. "hey, I am moving over" or "hey, I am in your blind spot" or "hey, I am going to overtake you"

Since we so rarely use our horns it isn't second nature when we really need them.

Old 07-13-2017 | 01:59 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by George Tirebiter
I have the same problem too but there is an answer. Try this, it actually works:
https://www.lifesaverhorn.com/
You're a little late. The sponsor posted this in post #75.

Old 07-13-2017 | 02:04 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bradleys
In this country we are very hesitant to use our horns in traffic, for some reason it is considered rude and or a representation of anger - akin to sticking your head out of the window and calling somebody a dumb ***.

I other countries using a horn is part of the drivers conversation with other vehicles, almost an extension of the turn signal. "hey, I am moving over" or "hey, I am in your blind spot" or "hey, I am going to overtake you"

Since we so rarely use our horns it isn't second nature when we really need them.
Clearly, you ain't been to New York City!

The following users liked this post:
bradleys (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017 | 02:34 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 01fxdxt
Horn?Emergency?Maybe you should be spending that energy braking or figure your trajectory.....
Or use your horn in a manner that prevents a need for "spending that energy braking or figure your trajectory...."?

Of course this requires being aware of your surroundings and taking action before an 'Emergency' exists.

Last edited by rjg883c; 07-13-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2017 | 02:55 PM
Steevo12683
5th Gear

Louder horn?? More like louder pipes,, Really that much trouble finding horn button?? I say clutch and twist,, kick the car,, spit on windshield, and speed away.. No time for the horn!!

Horns I agree are for the chicks walking on the beach.. And then loud pipes win again!! If you ride with a lady on the back, have her carry some marbles, ding a few of those across a car and gets their attention also. Hope they stop to bitch about it.

2cd on "ride like your invisible" they always pull out in front of us!!!

Quick Reply: Finding Horn Button in Emergency