General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just came across this on the internet

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,073 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
How quickly we forget. Harley built the EXACT V Rod you describe. Inverted forks, mid controls, good steering geometry, great ground clearance. Total flop. Couldn't give them away. Thet were the Street Rods.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...rod-motorcycle

I didn't forget a thing. If you think a 2006 or 2007 VRSCR fits what I described you've only ridden Harleys. The VRSCR doesn't hold a candle to even the most bargain basement UJMs. The Suzuki Bandit, Yamaha FZ-1, Kawasaki ZRX1100/1200 and many others beat it like a drum. These aren't sport bikes, these are just basic motorcycles. I love my Harleys but I understand one thing very clearly; they only compare well to other bikes trying to be like them and in some cases not even then. Case in point, the Yamaha V-Max. That's the bike Harley ripped off when they made the V-Rod. The sad part is when The V-Rod came out it still didn't compare well to the V-Max that was largely unchanged since 1984. Now? The V-Rod can't even mentioned in the same breath. Like I said; build a proper motorcycle that has a modern performance engine, chassis, geometry and suspension and I'll buy another, but not until. Don't even get me started on that lame excuse Buell

Oh how quickly they forget indeed.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:51 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I didn't forget a thing. If you think a 2006 or 2007 VRSCR fits what I described you've only ridden Harleys. The VRSCR doesn't hold a candle to even the most bargain basement UJMs. The Suzuki Bandit, Yamaha FZ-1, Kawasaki ZRX1100/1200 and many others beat it like a drum. These aren't sport bikes, these are just basic motorcycles. I love my Harleys but I understand one thing very clearly; they only compare well to other bikes trying to be like them and in some cases not even then. Case in point, the Yamaha V-Max. That's the bike Harley ripped off when they made the V-Rod. The sad part is when The V-Rod came out it still didn't compare well to the V-Max that was largely unchanged since 1984. Now? The V-Rod can't even mentioned in the same breath. Like I said; build a proper motorcycle that has a modern performance engine, chassis, geometry and suspension and I'll buy another, but not until. Don't even get me started on that lame excuse Buell

Oh how quickly they forget indeed.
Lol, hey now... I just said that particular model met your baseline criteria. I never meant to imply it was worth a dog poopy. And are you implying that an anemic 101 horsepower hoped up Sportster motor does not equate to a VMAX? How dare you sir! Well, at least Eric gave it the old college try with the Rotax version...... kinda.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,073 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Lol, hey now... I just said that particular model met your baseline criteria. I never meant to imply it was worth a dog poopy. And are you implying that an anemic 101 horsepower hoped up Sportster motor does not equate to a VMAX? How dare you sir! Well, at least Eric gave it the old college try with the Rotax version...... kinda.
Naw I was comparing the V-Max and the V-Rod.

Eric did give it a try though, I'll admit that in open court

Buell's problem wasn't poor marketing, or negligible support from HD. In my opinion it was one simple thing; the bike was supposed to be a sport bike and it didn't compare to other sport bikes, at all. When Buell tried to fall back on the "it has a Harley motor and it runs great for a Harley" that didn't fly because it wasn't a Harley, not even by Harley people's standards. So if it wasn't a Harley (in most people's opinion) then it was a sport bike and it was compared as all sport bikes are, numbers and performance. They had a little one legged man race series for them but compared to AMA Superbike and World Superbike it was the Special Olympics.

I want a functional, rideable V-Rod and if Harley doesn't make one pretty soon I WILL buy a V-Max. I'll still have a couple HDs in the garage but I'm done buying air cooled motors that for the amount of displacement they have don't really perform that well.