General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just came across this on the internet

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:35 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,073 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I'd buy a "Sport Glide" with a Vrod engine the last year of production. That's about all the time HD needs to get something right

Old 08-10-2016, 06:46 AM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 1,257 Posts

That sounds like harley. Stay current and innovative by reintroducing a model that's 23 years old....and didn't sell well even back then

I was hoping that when Willie G retired that The Company would come out with new stuff, instead it's more of the same.

lets add some bags to this model and it's now a new model,
lets change the bars on this one, we'll give them 2 new options now we have 3 models
lets lower this bike and inch and change the mirrors. We can strip off all the bolt on stuff and charge more for less

in good news though we have 40 new shirt designs this year. 10 with wolves, 10 with eagles, 10 with the flag (which are made in Bangladesh), and 10 with skulls

I've been a fan of the motorcycles for 30 years, but the Motor Company gave up 15 years ago when every 3rd house had a harley in the garage

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 07:07 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,200 Likes on 1,809 Posts
Old 08-10-2016, 07:12 AM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by tehan2
That sounds like harley. Stay current and innovative by reintroducing a model that's 23 years old....and didn't sell well even back then

I was hoping that when Willie G retired that The Company would come out with new stuff, instead it's more of the same.
unfortunately when they do come up with something new (V-Rod, Street) customers sneer at them as "Not a Harley" and they don't sell.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:47 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

We got a short time wait to see what comes out. I am not holding my breath that the OP picture will be out. MAYBE 25 years ago.....

Old 08-10-2016, 12:14 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,073 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by jz78817
unfortunately when they do come up with something new (V-Rod, Street) customers sneer at them as "Not a Harley" and they don't sell.

I'd buy a Vrod IF

It had good steering geometry

It had mid mount pegs

It had sporting ground clearance and suspension travel

It had real performance suspension instead of springs on a stick

While I'm at it; leave room between the upper frame rails and valve covers for checks/adjustments

Basically, I'd buy a Vrod if Harley put the Vrod motor in what has become known as a UJM. The only "technology" in a Vrod is the engine. Everything else is a Halloween costume. I don't blame people for not buying them.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:22 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

I've been a fan of the motorcycles for 30 years, but the Motor Company gave up 15 years ago when every 3rd house had a harley in the garage
I hear ya. I rode and loved them for 44 years. When I decided to get a new bike I left the fold and bought something else. Not because I don't love their product but because I no longer want to support the MOCO. They started losing me about as you say, 15 years or so ago.

My last Harley was an 05 ST and in the 8 years I had it, I put 88,000 totally trouble free miles on it. I am now riding the MOCO's long time, recently resurrected rival and still defend the H-D product any time someone wants to slam it in my presence. I just won't spend any more of my hard earned coin on their motorcycles.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 18,303 Likes on 10,102 Posts

lets add some bags to this model and it's now a new model,
lets change the bars on this one, we'll give them 2 new options now we have 3 models
lets lower this bike and inch and change the mirrors. We can strip off all the bolt on stuff and charge more for less

in good news though we have 40 new shirt designs this year. 10 with wolves, 10 with eagles, 10 with the flag (which are made in Bangladesh), and 10 with skulls

Yeah, I figured out they were pretty common when I scored a box of old Ironhead Sportster parts. I went to price the stuff out for resale, and found that most of it is readily available, so what I have I can't sell for much. Makes you wonder why the parts and accessories are so $$$ pricey when they are common items. Silly isn't it? They are about as common as Chevy parts used to be in the 60's.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:54 PM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Lord mercy.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:59 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I'd buy a Vrod IF

It had good steering geometry

It had mid mount pegs

It had sporting ground clearance and suspension travel

It had real performance suspension instead of springs on a stick

While I'm at it; leave room between the upper frame rails and valve covers for checks/adjustments

Basically, I'd buy a Vrod if Harley put the Vrod motor in what has become known as a UJM. The only "technology" in a Vrod is the engine. Everything else is a Halloween costume. I don't blame people for not buying them.
How quickly we forget. Harley built the EXACT V Rod you describe. Inverted forks, mid controls, good steering geometry, great ground clearance. Total flop. Couldn't give them away. Thet were the Street Rods.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...rod-motorcycle

Quick Reply: Just came across this on the internet