General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to helping a brother out?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016 | 08:03 AM
srhen
|
Tourer

It's doesn't f'en matter if i had help coming or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............the whole damn point to my post is how i was disappointed that no even tried to stop and check.

I had the 4 way flashers going and was apparently i was at fault because i didn't put up a billboard telling my situation.

First i'm losing faith in the local fellow riders and now i'm starting to lose faith in all these "keyboard" riders.

I will continue to do the "old school" thing and stop and try to offer my help to anyone i see on the side of the road.

The following users liked this post:
ncdeekay (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016 | 08:13 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member

If only it was as simple as leaving the left T/S on to indicate you're ok vs. hazards for need help. I do stop for a lot of people that don't need help, and will continue to do so but that would make it easier.

Old 08-08-2016 | 08:44 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

after being out yesterday i know stopping to help someone has gone the way of the wave to fellow riders too. use to be everyone waved, not anymore.

Old 08-08-2016 | 08:50 AM
ncdeekay
Tourer

Originally Posted by srhen
It's doesn't f'en matter if i had help coming or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............the whole damn point to my post is how i was disappointed that no even tried to stop and check.

I had the 4 way flashers going and was apparently i was at fault because i didn't put up a billboard telling my situation.

First i'm losing faith in the local fellow riders and now i'm starting to lose faith in all these "keyboard" riders.

I will continue to do the "old school" thing and stop and try to offer my help to anyone i see on the side of the road.
I'm with you! Keep doing the right thing, if we all followed those who don't give a #%?! it would be a sad place to live and ride. Keep the faith brother!

Old 08-08-2016 | 09:29 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

Last one I tried to help, between calling the dealer in Rapid city, Hog roadside assistance, and ignoring my advice not to jump his bike off a running truck, an offer to push-start him, or help load it on the truck, he couldn't be bothered. My brother is smarter than that.
I won't wave at you, but I'll still stop, even if you're a jerk.

Old 08-08-2016 | 10:14 AM
crabio
Tourer

Gotta share this story. Was on my way back to Seattle from the Beartooth Rally in Red Lodge MT when I stopped in at a rest stop right outside of Bozeman.

Came back out and got ready to hit the road and found my shifter was laying flat on the foot board. Started trying to figure out what was going on and realized that my shifter had come loose from the linkage that attaches to the transmission. Every time I put it back on it'd just fall off again.

Well I didn't know how the shifter actually attached to the linkage and at first glance I thought maybe I had lost a set screw or something. So I'm walking around the parking lot looking and a gentleman there asked what I was looking for and we started talking. He helped me look around and then we started looking at the shifter. He wasn't a bike guy but he rummaged through his trunk trying to see if he had a screw that might fit.

In the meantime I had my road tool kit out and started zip tying the hell out of the connection. He came back over and was just hanging out for moral support. This whole time his wife is patiently waiting in the car. Found out they were headed into Billings for a wedding.

I mentioned wishing there was a Harley shop close by. By the time I had taken the bike around the parking lot to make sure my zip tie job would hold he had already pulled out his phone and found a shop 11 miles up the freeway in Bozeman.

I thanked him for hanging out with me and loaded all my stuff up and headed toward the shop in Bozeman. Got out on the 90 and glanced in my mirror and I'll be damned if the guy and his wife were right behind me following.

They followed me all the way to the shop ... 15 miles in the opposite direction they were going. Pulled into the parking lot and he drove up and said ... "Hey man. Sorry for following you but we just wanted to make sure you got here ok. Be safe and have a great rest of your trip."

My faith in humanity was restored that day.

The following 2 users liked this post by crabio:
CaptainAwesome (08-08-2016), crazytown (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016 | 10:24 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by srhen

Sorry but back in the Old Skool days the 4-ways may had been enough but with todays technology of being to call for help just about anywhere, you'll have to do something more to get my attention - if not the billboard or trying to get ones attention (you are afterall are the one that needs it) - maybe if you were bent over your bike and working on it, I carry a pretty good tool collection and have stopped a few time to see if I could lend assistance when I see someone working on their bike trying to fix it.

Last edited by JMC22; 08-08-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-08-2016 | 11:18 AM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master

Some people are awesome. Some people suck.

Some people that are awesome ride motorcycles.
Some people that suck ride motorcycles.

Sometimes you have a day full of sucky people.

But sometimes you have a day full of awesome people, and those are the days worth remembering.

Originally Posted by crabio
Gotta share this story. Was on my way back to Seattle from the Beartooth Rally in Red Lodge MT when I stopped in at a rest stop right outside of Bozeman.
I moved out to the Seattle area from around there. People are a lot more helpful percentage wise, they realize that they might be the last person you see on the road for hours if not the day, in the winter that can literally be life or death. Course it's like anywhere in the world, some people suck out there too, there is a reason most people carry out there, and it ain't the wildlife.

I think the mentality has become "someone should do something" and everyone has forgotten that they that someone.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-08-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2016 | 11:55 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

Today I pulled into the parking of a coffee shop with my Jeep, with the intent of grabbing a cup to relax. A young fellow flagged me down in the parking lot and to,d me he needed help, his girlfriend who is pregnant is broke down. I thought he needed money so I was reaching for my wallet, but instead he just wanted a ride. I let him in and took off to where he said he needed to go. I had him in the back seat because I had tons of crap in the front. Well we start going down the road and his story started slowly changing and I ended up taking him into the hood. I thought for sure he was going to have me bring him somewhere where I would get jumped or car jacked or something. I put my phone in my pocket and played out different scenarios in my mind. Everything ended up being fine though.

Old 08-08-2016 | 12:12 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm still curious where you're from.

Last year, another biker and I both stopped for a scruffy looking guy, pushing an old metric. He didn't need any help. Had just run out of gas, and was a block from a gas station.

The only time, I sometimes don't stop is on the interstate. At 80 it is sometimes hard to get to the shoulder in time. Most of the time when I stop they're just taking a break. So if there isn't a clear sign of distress like a bandana on bars, helmet on ground, thumbs down, I'm not going to stop.
4 way flashers just indicate being stopped, not broke down.

The following users liked this post:
ISP-FLHTK (08-08-2016)

Quick Reply: What happened to helping a brother out?!