General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to helping a brother out?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016 | 07:45 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain

Okay, I'll bite. So your wife is gone 3 miles to get the truck and you are watching all these bikers ride on by without stopping, plus a line of empty trailers.....okay, if I am one of the bikers going by and I stop, then what? Your going to start bitching about no one stopping, then you are going to tell me the story about how your wife's bike broke, then 10 minutes later you will finally get around to telling me that she is on her way back with the truck. So you just wanted everyone going by to stop and hold your hand! Like someone else said "the fix was in". You weren't stranded out on some deserted road in the middle of the night without cell service!

It is not 1970 anymore, everyone has cell phones. If you don't have a cell phone then go to Walmart and spend $25.00 for one.

I help other bikers when I know they need help. If I stopped every time I saw another bike pulled over that is all I would be doing every day.

For example, neighborhood sport bike that likes to run by my house wide open zipped past one afternoon at his usual 60mph. I was in the garage but something didn't sound right after he went past. I looked down the road and he had lost power and was on the side of the road trying to start it back up. From the loss-of-power sound I was guessing he had ran out of gas. I grabbed my full gas can and drove my SUV down to him. He was on the phone to his girlfriend to bring out gas. I had him call her back and we put a couple of gallons in his tank....off he went. He lived about 1 miles away. The only thing I accomplished was getting him on his way 5 minutes quicker and providing free gas!

Old 08-07-2016 | 08:16 AM
an Uncouth Barbarian
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
The only thing I accomplished was getting him on his way 5 minutes quicker and providing free gas!
Yea, but it's the thought that counts.

Old 08-07-2016 | 08:23 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

in the old days everyone stopped to lend a hand. fixed alot of bikes on the side or the road back then. something as simple as a gas line one time and the guy that stopped had a piece of fuel line with him. in fact that has happened twice over the years. piece of tape or a wire tie may get someone going again.

Old 08-07-2016 | 10:43 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

Wow! Sure seems to be a lot of bitter people here. Are we not out riding enough? I did t think it was winter yet.

Old 08-07-2016 | 10:55 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by srhen
The wife and I went for a ride today and stopped for gas about 5 miles from home. When she tried to start her bike(02 fatboy)....nothing. I got it started but it did and/or seem right. We head home slowly with her in the lead and about a mile down the road she starts to smoke out both pipes, she pulls over right away. I look it over again and got oil coming out air cleaner and all over side of motor. She hasn't rode that bike in about a month cause she has another and it's almost like the thing sumped the crankcase full of oil. As we are only about 3 miles from home I send her home on my bike to get truck and I sit and wait on the side of road with 4-ways blinking away.

Now, in the 15 minutes I sat there before she got back I had atleast 6 bikes of different makes go by and you wanna guess how many stopped OR even gestured to me?!.....absolutely friggin' zero!!!!.

Then as I'm like an idiot trying to push it home down the side I had atleast 3 pickups with EMPTY trailers on back drive past and not a 1 of them douches stopped either.

I try to stop or atleast slow down and gesture to every bike I see on the side of the road and I will continue to do so but I was really disappointed in my fellow local riders today.

Thanks for letting me vent, time for some of the whiskey I just brought home from Tennessee.

Scott
Times are changing, my friend. Old skewl is slowly being replaced. Most are only concerned with those in their group. Rest assured had it been one of us old timers, we'd stopped and the very least waited with you had we not been able to get it running.

Old 08-07-2016 | 11:03 AM
srhen
|
Tourer

Some of you guys are seriously not getting the point here!...., yes the wife was on the way back, yes I had a cell phone , yes I have AAA. All of that IS NOT the point!!!!!!!!!!!.The whole point was anybody stopping to check on a possible broke down brother. I would have thanked them and let them go on their way.

Where I did push the bike to, an open barn driveway off the narrow road, the home owners came out and were very nice and actually hooked up his trailer to his truck and got me home. I voluntarily gave him some cash and insisted he take it and thanked him very much.

Old 08-07-2016 | 11:31 AM
Lanwman
Cruiser

I slow down or stop when ever I can, if I can safely do so. I look at riding as a bit of a brotherhood. Anything is possible, u know lots of us old guys ride..LOL, guy could be in need of medical help, and no cell phone or battery on phone dead.Most times the rider just gives a thombs up and off I go.

Old 08-07-2016 | 11:37 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by srhen
Some of you guys are seriously not getting the point here!...., yes the wife was on the way back, yes I had a cell phone , yes I have AAA. All of that IS NOT the point!!!!!!!!!!!.The whole point was anybody stopping to check on a possible broke down brother. I would have thanked them and let them go on their way.

Where I did push the bike to, an open barn driveway off the narrow road, the home owners came out and were very nice and actually hooked up his trailer to his truck and got me home. I voluntarily gave him some cash and insisted he take it and thanked him very much.
@ srhen, give em hell. You know to take the comments with a grain of salt. I pay attn to maybe 2% of anything in here last few years. lol

Originally Posted by Lanwman
I slow down or stop when ever I can, if I can safely do so. I look at riding as a bit of a brotherhood. Anything is possible, u know lots of us old guys ride..LOL, guy could be in need of medical help, and no cell phone or battery on phone dead.Most times the rider just gives a thombs up and off I go.
...+1, old skewl is fast becoming an old guy thing

Old 08-07-2016 | 11:55 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member

[QUOTE=DaddyKnuck;15391426]In 2012 I broke down on the way home from Sturgis. No cell service in the middle of SD on I90. A guy with a bike on a one bike trailer stopped to help. We ended up unloading his bike and loading my bike. I rode his bike while he trailered mine to an exit I could buy a battery at (about 50 miles). Wouldn't accept anything more than a handshake for his troubles.
[IMG]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk28/oldhogguy/Crossbones%20on%20Trailer_zpsdmwj9bks. Good story, good people.

Old 08-07-2016 | 11:59 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
No way I'd leave a woman of mine sitting at the side of ANY road. Where I come from, women and kids needs/safety is provided for first.
Agreed, I was being "sarcastic".

Quick Reply: What happened to helping a brother out?!