General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to helping a brother out?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016 | 12:44 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

So many people today have bought into the Life and haven't a clue what it means to be a Biker.
I've has good experiences with having someone stop and check if I'm okay when I'm pulled over simply checking my road map.
Most of the time a bike will slow down and gesture thumbs up to see if I give them an okay or thumbs down.
In June when I broke down, I had a BMW rider stop to help, and when it wouldn't start with that, helped me push it into a orchard for the night. Another guy who stopped got me to a motel to dry off, picked me up in the morning with a trailer, and took it to his friend's shop for a fix. (PC got water in connections and shorted out).
I thanked the guy who chauffeured me around and offered him some money for gas. He told me just to pay it forward to the next guy when I come across one.
Good people in the Idaho panhandle!
Could be your locale.
People are strange.

Old 08-07-2016 | 01:07 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

Lets talk karma, How many brother have you stopped and helped ?

Old 08-07-2016 | 04:52 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior

For sure, its not like it used to be in the 60s & 70s. The only groups that seem to stop to help out now are LEOs and 1%ers. Two groups from what some would consider opposite ends of the spectrum, but in a breakdown situation, I've found both have good intentions. Except for one cop who ticketed me after helping me out!

The following users liked this post:
Dozer40 (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016 | 05:17 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

I'd be ticked off too! WTH JR

Old 08-07-2016 | 06:15 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

ChickinOnachain made a good point. Don't sweat the dudes that won't stop or even glance. They're not worth getting you panties bunched up.I always stop and at least ask if everything is ok. I've sat with quite a few dudes over the years waiting for help to arrive. You meet some cool people that way.

Old 08-07-2016 | 06:30 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
In 2012 I broke down on the way home from Sturgis. No cell service in the middle of SD on I90. A guy with a bike on a one bike trailer stopped to help. We ended up unloading his bike and loading my bike. I rode his bike while he trailered mine to an exit I could buy a battery at (about 50 miles). Wouldn't accept anything more than a handshake for his troubles.
That is phenomenal, I hope that one day one of us can give That Guy a hand!!!

Old 08-07-2016 | 06:49 AM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by srhen
When you pass me by and I'm looking at you with my hands in the air does that count as a hand gesture ?.

I am 6' 1" and was wearing a sleeve less T and I have tattoos and a goatee so maybe it was my fault nobody stopped.

Karma?!...I check on everyone I see on the side of the road whether they are on a bike or in a cage and I would like to consider myself a good person.

I am sorry for venting about this event but I will continue to stop to check on people no matter what they look like or if they gesture to me first.

Sometimes I just wonder.......
It might have something to do with where you were when this happened. I've lived in places where no one would stop even if you were laying half dead on the ground but I have absolutely no doubt that where I live right now I don't think I'd have a problem if I needed help.

Old 08-07-2016 | 06:52 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by perki48
You want someone to stop, let the Wife stay there and you go get the pickup. It sucks but that is the way it is these days.
No way I'd leave a woman of mine sitting at the side of ANY road. Where I come from, women and kids needs/safety is provided for first.

The following 4 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
nytryder (08-08-2016), Queen-of-Clubs (08-08-2016), srhen (08-07-2016), Uncle Larry (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016 | 07:11 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Next time you break down, spawn some Pokemon Go characters at your location. Before you know it you'll have all the company you can handle.

I'm only kinda kidding.

Best Answer thus Far ... My kiddos play that Shizen

On the plus side it gets 'em outta the house

Other than that .....I stop for most folk only a couple rare exceptions I pass up without a thought..

Haole

Old 08-07-2016 | 07:27 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

I was in WV last month for work and saw a guy on a trike pulling a trailer on the other side of the road. I went to the next exit and turned around time I got t him he said a guy just left to go get him gas. So I told him to wait in the truck in the A/C. He said he had been there for 45 minutes before we stopped. The guy came back with gas in a new can he just bought and gave the guy gas and the can. Was nice to be able to help and see people still willing. We stood on the side of the road and talked for a few then all went on our way. Worth helping a brother anytime no matter what IMO

Quick Reply: What happened to helping a brother out?!