General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to helping a brother out?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016 | 08:58 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

I would have stopped, but I will say this. There is no reason for you to be pissed off because you were not stranded and the wife was on the way with the truck. In other words the fix was in.

If a guy would have stopped on his bike, what would have been the solution? You ride his bike to your house while he waits with your wife's bike even though your wife is already on the way with the truck? I intend this paragraph as humorous.

Think about this as well. There are so many messed up people in the world today that a number of scenarios could play out. A Good Samaritan stops to help someone that is broke down and the person that is stranded murders or robs them. Scenario 2 is someone stops to help you, only the person that stops doesn't really want to help you. Instead he wants to murder or rob you.

I had an elderly couple stop to help me and gave me a ride in their four door pick up truck once. Before climbing in the vehicle, I explained the two scenarios to them. They said the fact that I thought about that and brought it their attention made them feel comfortable that I was a good guy and reminded them of their son. We all had a good laugh and I enjoyed their company and conversation until they dropped me off at the gas station I wanted to go to.

I hope I am not coming off as a jerk. I just see so many terrible things happening all the time and am just trying to offer you an explanation that might ease your mind.

I also would like to add that as an alternative to towing, download and setup Uber on your phone. You can leave the bike wherever and at least be able to get a ride somewhere for cheap even if you don't have cash on you.

Last edited by Prot; 08-06-2016 at 09:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
103 sedona orange (08-07-2016)
Old 08-06-2016 | 09:01 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Stop. Always. No question.

It's what you do.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Wraith04 (08-07-2016)
Old 08-06-2016 | 09:14 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Supporter

Did you think to put your helmet on the ground to the rear of your bike. That's the sign of needed help

Old 08-06-2016 | 09:16 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member

Blue state?

Old 08-06-2016 | 10:32 PM
Jake911
Road Captain

Originally Posted by srhen
Now, in the 15 minutes I sat there before she got back I had at least 6 bikes of different makes go by and you wanna guess how many stopped OR even gestured to me?!.....absolutely friggin' zero!!!!.

So no HDs drove by?

Old 08-06-2016 | 11:23 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

I understand how you feel. I try to stop whenever I see a motorcycle stopped along side the road regardless of make or model. Sad to say, there are many out there that feel when they buy a Harley that it automatically puts them in a special fraternity where every body is either their brother or their sister and that they will stop every time they see a bike/rider stranded along side the road. There is also a possibility that many might not stop because of the possibility of it being a setup that will end up turning into a robbery or something similar.

Last edited by SPRINGER; 08-06-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2016 | 11:27 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior

With me I always do the thumbs up thumbs down gesture. It might not always be the bike that is the problem , who knows? So far this decade though, nobody's needed or wanted my help. But I do always check.

Old 08-06-2016 | 11:31 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

OP, I am curious where you are from. I can't imagine that happening in a place like Wisconsin, where I live.

Old 08-06-2016 | 11:44 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

If this was you, sorry...I'd **** my pants.
What happened to helping a brother out?!-badass.jpg

If this was you, I'd definitely would have stopped.
What happened to helping a brother out?!-gaybike.jpg

Old 08-07-2016 | 12:32 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!

Next time you break down, spawn some Pokemon Go characters at your location. Before you know it you'll have all the company you can handle.

I'm only kinda kidding.

HAOLE (08-07-2016)

Quick Reply: What happened to helping a brother out?!