General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to helping a brother out?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016 | 08:23 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Look around Friends.

Society as we knew it is long since gone.

Welcome to the new Progressive Society.

"If it ain't about me, I just don't give a crap"

And then there are all the refugees and illegals (with drivers license and welfare checks)

Old 08-10-2016 | 08:41 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior

Well I didn't drive by you, had I, I would have stopped or slowed and shown you the thumb up thumb down gesture, if you thumbs down back to me I would stop and see how I could help I have used this method at least (5) times this year and only once did I actually stop, but the guy was waiting for assistance already, so we shot the crap for a bit.

Old 08-10-2016 | 08:49 AM
Cazador

Generations of societal engineering by the govt. Americans were a hardy bunch of people. Relied on themselves and neighbors to get through life. Then came the govt with their "Great Society" plan. The govt is here to help. 50 years later we have a majority of people that have no clue as to the meaning of personal responsibility. Never mind being polite enough to lend a hand to others. Then you have those that are fearful for their own safety. They watch the news and see all the bad going on because the good things don't make ratings. Then you have those that are busy getting Jonny to T ball and Suzy to dance class and gotta get to the market before back tracking and getting home to cook supper fro Fred after working 8 hours. Yeah some people don't have time. Then you have those that see you with an HD and think dumb **** should have bought a metric. Then you have the ones that think. I can't afford and HD and I have a cell phone.
Then you have the remnants. Those that are in the right place at the right time and always there to help. I have stopped many times to help people. I have given rides to people, changed tires, given use of my phone and many other things. A friend once told me that someday something bad was going to happen. I said so be it. If that is what happens oh well.
There are still many good people in this country. On that day you were not there long enough to happen across them. Or them to happen across you.

Old 08-10-2016 | 09:14 AM
eichacsj
Tourer

I learned something here. I did not know that putting your helmet behind the bike meant "need Help"

Story - when I first started riding (Kawasaki 650) the wife and I were on a ride in the Colorado mountains and the bike just died, nothing. Some scary looking Harley rider stops, "can I help..." I explain and he says have you checked your fuses, huh bikes have fuses I ask. He looks and finds the fuse box and sure enough the main fuse blew, a spare fuse was in the box, he changed it and off we went. We tried to offer money but just wanted the hand shake we already did.

I have yet been able to return the favor but today I will stop for a biker. In my car or on the bike.

Old 08-10-2016 | 09:28 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Ah reminiscing of days gone by ......

Miss the days when kids played outside all day long and neighbors kept an eye on them against kidnappers and pedophiles

A Spankin or whoopin was considered discipline

Sir / Ma'am were the mark of the well disciplined and well brought up child

No one felt entitled to that which another earned.

You could hitch hike across country

You could feel safe enough to pick up hitch hikers

motorcycle riders stopped for other motorcycle riders

The word "Brother" had special meaning and connotations beyond identifying someone you don't know that you may share item or two in common

LOL

Haole

Last edited by HAOLE; 08-10-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-10-2016 | 09:35 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Nobody cares, that's what happened...

Old 08-10-2016 | 09:39 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
Nobody cares, that's what happened...
Nah ...all kidding aside .... I usually stop with few exceptions ... certain Cluster F's I wouldn't stop for example

Haole

Old 08-10-2016 | 10:20 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Over the 35 years I've been street riding, there's been many times I've stopped to help someone out.

There was the time I chased all over Cobleskill on a Sunday afternoon trying to help a rider find a 10-32 bolt to hold his points assembly in his Sportster. Or the time I happened upon a lady rider low on oil at a convenience store a block from my house. I ran home and brought her a quart of oil to get her going again.

These days, most everybody has a cell phone and has already called for help. I still stop to see if they're okay, unless I can see that they are already being helped (another car, cop, tow truck, etc.).

Last year, when I slid off the road, I was helped within about five minutes by a stranger in a pickup, who stopped and helped me right the bike, and waited while I determined that it would start and could be ridden. At least in my area of upstate NY the tradition isn't dead yet.

Old 08-10-2016 | 10:29 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
Look around Friends.

Society as we knew it is long since gone.

Welcome to the new Progressive Society.

"If it ain't about me, I just don't give a crap"

And then there are all the refugees and illegals (with drivers license and welfare checks)
Accepting it would be condoning it. Right?

Old 08-10-2016 | 10:44 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

One day a few years back the neighbors wife knocked on the door saying " you gotta go help him his bike broke down". I said "okay but we aren't going to get his bike into the back of my truck". I went out to my neighbor, his 2005 Super Glide at the time was less than a year old. I found him about 7 miles away and he was complaining, "Harleys are **** blah blah" I started taking a look, and found the vacuum hose came off the petcock. I plugged it back in and away he went. All I know is, he could have found it himself if he wasn't too busy being upset. He may not have an eye for these things I don't know. But that's my "helping thy neighbor story".

Quick Reply: What happened to helping a brother out?!