General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boots, and the elements thereof

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016 | 02:21 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I find Red Wings do well for me. Have had several pairs over the past 20 years. Comfortable and wear well. Just bought new pair of steel toe through work that are water proof. Heavy, but has features i want.
I suggest you find a good brand name work boot, waterproof if possible. And get the right fit. Lots of great selections mentioned here. Find a pair and move on!

Old 08-07-2016 | 03:35 PM
PeterV
Tourer

Originally Posted by Zerk
I would know it is there, and that is what counts. John Wayne is turning in his grave.

I am going more to throw aways. The rest of the boot has lost support by the time the soles are shot.

Also I am starting to think injection molding is better. It is cheaper, which is why the companies do it. But it seems better too. Modern maybe.

My favorite boot right now is Meindl light hunter, it really locks in place, better then Denalli. This is more of hiking boot. But I have been wearing it on the bike, until I find something else. I was wearing bates last year, and that pair seem to have lost my love.

I am moving more towards boots with asymetrical or big toe box, especially in safety toe.

I am interested in Danners, but many are skinny and narrow toe. GF loves her Arcadians though.

I'm the opposite. 2 sets of Danners, 12 years old. Fit like a glove, comfy, and the 9" boot (Acadia GTX if I remember correct) resoled (in, mid and outer) with my choice of soles, as it had come with a different mid and outsole than the Ft Lewis, which wore out quickly.
The Ft Lewis is just plain unbeatable, my opinion

Old 08-07-2016 | 09:45 PM
Zerk
Banned

The old boots may fit, but are they providing support? I like Danner.. But when you get somethign stretched out is it still supporting? Like tires and brakes, that wear over time and we don't realize it. A new pair my be incredible. Not to mention technology has changed.

I got a bad foot, and I like comfort. I suspect the Chinese molded insoles are the futures, not because of price, but comfort. I wish more American companies would do it. I think they are hanging their hat on high end boots.

I do have a pair of Reebok/Converse safety toes, around $140. Barry compliant. There are military sites that cater to this type of boot, with some American made boots. Decent price range. Danner knows they can get $300+ for the American boots they makes. Other companies go after service man.

What pisses me off, Danner included, who sell $200 boots made in China. I understand people want cheap crap from China. But $200 should be American.

Old 08-07-2016 | 10:32 PM
teedubbyaw
Tourer

I'll probably be getting these. Good ankle support built in.

Icon el bajo

Attached Thumbnails Boots, and the elements thereof-image.jpeg  
Old 08-08-2016 | 09:32 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

For cold / wet weather I wear Danner Acadia's (full leather, vibram sole, gore tex, 200g thinsulate). For hot weather I wear Belleville 950 Mountain Combat Hikers. For temperate weather I wear a pair of US issue military pilot boots, full leather, steel toe, vibram soles). All made in usa.

Old 08-08-2016 | 10:02 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Steel toes for work OK but they aren't safe for riding IMHO.

Old 08-08-2016 | 12:30 PM
Zerk
Banned

IMO that is a myth

Old 08-08-2016 | 12:43 PM
Back-n-Black
Club Member

Originally Posted by scottylonebull
I called baker boots.com, had 2 pairs of white's boots custom made, for the same price as a redwing or any other top of the line shelf boot. they are awesome. if you have the money, you cant go wrong with these. you also design the boot yourself on the website if you prefer. I added the toe cap and vibram soles.
$585 is what I came up with.....

Old 08-08-2016 | 01:31 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bville-Bud
2 - I keep a pair of dress shoes in my office just in case someone "important" visits and I need to switch out of the MC boots. Other than that I wear my MC boots. I figure if ladies can get away with wearing flip flops a pair of clean boots in good condition should be OK for 90% of the time.
Yes, we have a "dress code" in the office where I work, and I admit to being in violation of it most days. Thankfully, they keep me here for my expertise, and not for my looks, or I'd be in big trouble.

Old 08-08-2016 | 01:33 PM
Back-n-Black
Club Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Yes, we have a "dress code" in the office where I work, and I admit to being in violation of it most days. Thankfully, they keep me here for my expertise, and not for my looks, or I'd be in big trouble.
I'm always in violation of ours....Suppose to be business casual, but I take that as clean jeans and a polo shirt.

Quick Reply: Boots, and the elements thereof