General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boots, and the elements thereof

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016 | 07:04 AM
mark2842
Novice

This is what I wear. Very comfortable.
Harley-Davidson Black Scout 7in Leather boots. Sears for $125.00

Old 08-06-2016 | 07:09 AM
AGSURFR
Tourer

ENGINEER 12R

I have a pair of these that are around 12 years old. Replaced the soles and heels years ago. These are my goto boots when I don't have to wear safety toes for work. Also these are Made in the USA.

Old 08-06-2016 | 07:14 AM
Bville-Bud
Cruiser

Two thoughts:
1 - I have been riding on the street for 32 years and never had a lace caught in a shifter.

2 - I keep a pair of dress shoes in my office just in case someone "important" visits and I need to switch out of the MC boots. Other than that I wear my MC boots. I figure if ladies can get away with wearing flip flops a pair of clean boots in good condition should be OK for 90% of the time.

Originally Posted by RomeoTango
I really appreciate all the input!

Looks like boot choice is the "great divide" with so many varied opinions/choices. Protection does not seem to be the driving force as I thought it would. Aesthetics play a large role that expected with functionality off the bike a close second. Post #2 by Rhino-1 nailed it. Choices on based on personal preference and the amount of risk assumed.

Of the work boots and engineers boots, they do indeed appear to stand up to the heavy use/abuse of riding, but offer little in terms of ankle protection. I have a sturdy pair of Double-H ropers with a work sole (their Ice sole) that will suffice for now, but would likely not offer much ankle support in an accident scenario. I don't see any pull-on boot, as comfortable as they are, being able to wrap the ankle tight enough to provide support.

I understand the laces issues, but agree there may be good ways to mitigate laces getting caught up somewhere on the bike. But, it only takes once...

Bonus question: For those that work in an office environment, do you change you shoes at work or just wear your boots?

These Dainese seem to have a balance of features desirable for riding (minus the laces), while maintaining more of a work or casual boot appearance. Pricey at $260, but if they do what they say and last then maybe a fair choice:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-cafe-boots

The following users liked this post:
RomeoTango (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016 | 07:39 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain

I have 3 pair of riding boots. The most expensive and best looking are the short Harley boots. Another 8" black boot is not Harley but they were expensive and have the side zipper. Both of these sets of boots are okay for riding but not worth a crap for walking or standing all day.

Since I live where I do I almost always ride in hot temperatures. I finally tried a pair of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Desert.../dp/B005WWYDVI
From the first day I put them on they were like wearing a glove. Every now the then I will do my 3 mile morning walk in them if it has been raining out. What I like most about them is that they were not expensive and they let your feet breath.

Old 08-06-2016 | 09:24 AM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member

I would only wear the boots on casual Friday, orherwise it is dress shoes.

Old 08-06-2016 | 10:54 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master

I called baker boots.com, had 2 pairs of white's boots custom made, for the same price as a redwing or any other top of the line shelf boot. they are awesome. if you have the money, you cant go wrong with these. you also design the boot yourself on the website if you prefer. I added the toe cap and vibram soles.

The following 2 users liked this post by scottylonebull:
RomeoTango (08-06-2016), soft 02 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-06-2016 | 11:49 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bville-Bud
Two thoughts:
1 - I have been riding on the street for 32 years and never had a lace caught in a shifter.

2 - I keep a pair of dress shoes in my office just in case someone "important" visits and I need to switch out of the MC boots. Other than that I wear my MC boots. I figure if ladies can get away with wearing flip flops a pair of clean boots in good condition should be OK for 90% of the time.
You may very well go your entire life without getting a lace caught on the shifter but the fact is, it does happen, I've seen it and it almost happened to me once. Once being the key word here.

Old 08-06-2016 | 12:37 PM
JediGoalie30
Cruiser

I have a pair of Corcoran 10" Field Boots left over from my time in the Army before we switched over to tan boots. They seem to work fine, they're comfortable, and they look great (I'm very partial to jump-style boots...AIRBORNE!). I tuck the laces in like I always have, so no issues there. The only problem with them is getting teased by the family for how they have a tendency to go CLOMP-CLOMP around the house on the wood floors...

http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com...ID=28&Gender=M

Old 08-06-2016 | 04:10 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master

Originally Posted by JediGoalie30
I have a pair of Corcoran 10" Field Boots left over from my time in the Army before we switched over to tan boots. They seem to work fine, they're comfortable, and they look great (I'm very partial to jump-style boots...AIRBORNE!). I tuck the laces in like I always have, so no issues there. The only problem with them is getting teased by the family for how they have a tendency to go CLOMP-CLOMP around the house on the wood floors...

http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com...ID=28&Gender=M
I have a pair of Corcoran jump boots also, I cut them down a little,(I have big calves) added a vibram sole to them also. very comfortable.

Old 08-06-2016 | 09:39 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rhino-1
Comfort, protection, aesthetics. You pick the order...
I agree, I'm also looking for a grippy vibrant sole.

Quick Reply: Boots, and the elements thereof