General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boots, and the elements thereof

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016 | 08:24 AM
Back-n-Black
Club Member

Originally Posted by riteway
OK....curiosity has got me..Were do you find a 15eeee? What do you pay for a 15eeee?
I wear an 11ee and find those hard to find...
I wear Redwings as they usually have them in stock or can get them in a day or two. But the selection has over the last 25 years gotten down to 3 or 4 styles. Price is not any higher than the smaller sizes.

With sneakers I always pick up New Balance since they seem to have the 15EEEE always on the shelf.

Dress shoes is where it gets expensive. $400-$600 is not uncommon, But they are Mantorii, Crockett & Jones or the like...

The following users liked this post:
riteway (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016 | 08:42 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

I own two pair of riding boots: one for warm weather and one for touring. The touring pair are work boots and are water tight. Both are laced, leather, with rubber soles. My warm weather pair are zippered for easy in and out. I got them as a gift and thought I would never wear them, but... I love them and wear them the most.

For "dressy shoes" for work, I wear cowboy boots. Not real good for riding boots, but life is full of compromises.

Old 08-05-2016 | 08:55 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member

I like these Bates boots because they are comfortable, and they give very good "feel" for the shifter on my bike, which I like.

https://www.amazon.com/Bates-Mens-Sp...cm_cr-mr-title

Old 08-05-2016 | 09:24 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member

This is what I wear. https://www.cruiserworks.com/Product...our-Boots.aspx No zippers or buckle. Plenty of protection. I can walk around in them all day.

RomeoTango (08-06-2016)
Old 08-05-2016 | 09:33 AM
Bville-Bud
Cruiser

FWIW I actually own a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile boots. While I really like the boots for non motorcycle wear, I have the thin soles (like shown in your pic) and find them slippery when at a stop light with sandy, hot or wet pavement.

When I ride in the cooler months I usually wear a old pair of side zip jump boots that I have had for a decade, or the Chippewa 12" Rally boots; in the summer it is usually 6" Chippewa 20020 lace ups.

RomeoTango (08-06-2016)
Old 08-05-2016 | 02:13 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

I've been using Cruiserworks boots for years. They went through a number of ownership changes, and had some quality issues (I never had a bad experience with them personally, but read a fair number of bad reviews) in the past, but the current ownership is doing things right.

I have a pair of current production boots. They're made in the USA, high quality, waterproof, and lightweight. I wear my boots year round (including during Canadian winters), and they're very comfortable to walk around in all day.

I have the Men's Classic.

https://www.cruiserworks.com/Product...sic-Boots.aspx

Cheers!

Old 08-05-2016 | 02:23 PM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Aerostich Combat Touring Boots have served me well.

Old 08-05-2016 | 02:25 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
http://www.511tactical.com/atac-storm-boot.html Light weight, comfortable, waterproof, non-slip sole & side zip. I've been wearing this brand since 07. They have many other boots you should check out. Good luck.
I like these!

Old 08-05-2016 | 02:27 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master

Find ankle protection and an anti slip sole function matters more than Fashion

Old 08-05-2016 | 04:19 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by GREENOHAWK69
Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boots.

Great in heat (100+ degrees) and cold 45 (my feet get cold very easy, but comfortable in these boots).
Yep. This is I went with after crashing last year.

A lot of guys like work boots. While providing some abrasion resistance, they offer no protection beyond that. If all you need are stylish boots, then choose anything you like. Just hope you don't crash.

If you want protection, that is something else altogether.

Last year, I went down in a curve on a close encounter with a coyote. I was wearing work boots. Good ones. My feet were protected alright. My ankles, not all all. My right foot twisted around about 180 degrees and fractured my ankle. Kept me off the bike all summer.

I bought the Sidi Adventure boots afterwards, as I can't afford to re-injure that ankle. They have proven to be fairly comfortable in a wide temp range. They were pricey. But they were a heluva lot less expensive than my out of pocket costs for the injury.

Bottom line, it's your skin. Wear flip flops if your so inclined

RomeoTango (08-06-2016)

Quick Reply: Boots, and the elements thereof