General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a new leather vest

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016 | 06:50 PM
chadmeyer1w
|
Stage II
Default Getting a new leather vest

Hey all, long time reader here, probably my first post. I've found this site to be very helpful on many topics.
I need a new leather vest. I seem to have outgrown the old one that is about 8 years old. I have many patches that I'm proud of, and would like to keep displaying. Has anyone cut off old patches, and re-sewen them on a new vest? Is it possible? Worth the hassle?
Thanks in advance for your advise.

Old 08-03-2016 | 07:00 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior

Yep, it's doable. A good tailor/sewing service can transfer them for you and you won't have to cut anything.

If you do decide to remove the patches yourself, cut the threads from the inside of the vest and then gently pull the patches off.

FWIW I bet you didn't really "outgrow" the vest... it probably shrank. Cows are having that problem with leather all the time.

Old 08-03-2016 | 09:54 PM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Yep, it's doable. A good tailor/sewing service can transfer them for you and you won't have to cut anything.

If you do decide to remove the patches yourself, cut the threads from the inside of the vest and then gently pull the patches off.

FWIW I bet you didn't really "outgrow" the vest... it probably shrank. Cows are having that problem with leather all the time.
Finally someone who knows the truth. My wife told me that it was not possible and that I was full of s#@t. When she gets home I'm showing her this. LOL

Old 08-04-2016 | 04:09 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member

Keep what you've got and buy some button extenders, or vest extender.

https://www.amazon.com/Bikers-Shield...utton+extender

Old 08-04-2016 | 07:44 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by chadmeyer1w
Hey all, long time reader here, probably my first post. I've found this site to be very helpful on many topics.
I need a new leather vest. I seem to have outgrown the old one that is about 8 years old. I have many patches that I'm proud of, and would like to keep displaying. Has anyone cut off old patches, and re-sewen them on a new vest? Is it possible? Worth the hassle?
Thanks in advance for your advise.

Did they use the adhesive (or iron on) when they put the patches on?
Who installed the patches?
If yes check with the fabric store and see if heat will help the adhesive release while taking the off.
Have you ever watched someone that recovers seats for a living?
If you have the ability.... some use razor blades and it makes short work of the stiches. If you don't have the ability use a seam ripper and it will take more time.
How are you going to put them on your next vest?
My brother in-law is air force and his patches are attached with Velcro.
It works slick and you won't have this problem again....