General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007 | 07:17 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Default RE: a stupid question

ORIGINAL: Phrogman

Well Daniel, since you are trying to learn the English language, take this for an answer:

The word Harley is a proper name, therefore the normal rules for pluralization do not apply. Normally any word that ends in "y" would be converted to "ies" for plurals. However, since we are dealing with the name of not only an individual, but also a motorcycle and the word is a proper name, it retains the "y." So to make a long story short, Harleys is the correct spelling when speaking of multiple Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

Whew, good thing I didn't sleep in English class too often...

You just made Me feel dumber than I already am!

Old 05-23-2007 | 07:24 PM
LTrain
Road Master

I don't think Harley is quite as ****, but Rolls Royce and Mercedes Benz both insist that the names are adjectives.

If you have one, it's Rolls Royce automobile. Two is Rolls Royce automobiles. Same for Mercedes Benz.

So if that rule applies, the plural would be Harley Davidson motorbikes.

But I think it's all bs. "Harleys" sounds good to me.

ORIGINAL: Phrogman

Well Daniel, since you are trying to learn the English language, take this for an answer:

The word Harley is a proper name, therefore the normal rules for pluralization do not apply. Normally any word that ends in "y" would be converted to "ies" for plurals. However, since we are dealing with the name of not only an individual, but also a motorcycle and the word is a proper name, it retains the "y." So to make a long story short, Harleys is the correct spelling when speaking of multiple Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

Whew, good thing I didn't sleep in English class too often...

Old 05-23-2007 | 08:24 PM
jdgarant
Advanced

HOGS.

Old 05-23-2007 | 09:18 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Ain't this forum GREAT. Where else does a unknowing individual ask a serious question about the English lanuage of all things and some Iron horse jockey not only answers the question but impresses the hell out of everyone else. God I love this country and forum.

Go ask that question on the Honda forum and see what you get. whatsawuck.