General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this still the preferred rain gear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:03 AM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I used a set of Frog Toggs from WalMart on an Alaska trip and didn't have any issues but I haven't burnt my leg on a pipe since about 1970 and it was my Honda 50.
I've also bought a couple bike specific suits, one by HD the other is First Gear. Both were used but like new and cost about what store bought Frog Toggs do.
Haven't tried the First Gear but the HD suit has seen quite a bit of hard rain and when I take the time to really seal it up it takes a hell of a rain to leak.
To be honest the Frog Toggs saw little use because I wore a Gore Tex Dual Sport Jacket and Pants to Alaska and only used them on the return trip when it was to hot for the heavier jacket. I threw the FT's in the boat, I think driving rain at highway speeds will let water in around the zipper.
My advise is to keep an eye out for good used stuff and maybe get by with FT's on the cheap. Pawn shops, Craigs list, and Swapmeets are your friend.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:16 AM
racinghoss
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

I've used Toumaster, off brand stuff, HD HiVis and the Olympia stuff. Hands down, the Olympia is the better stuff. It wins because it is more breathable, has more adjustments, and is less money. I rode 2 full days in heavy rain on a recent trip, at interstate speeds, and was never even damp.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:36 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by racinghoss
I've used Toumaster, off brand stuff, HD HiVis and the Olympia stuff. Hands down, the Olympia is the better stuff. It wins because it is more breathable, has more adjustments, and is less money. I rode 2 full days in heavy rain on a recent trip, at interstate speeds, and was never even damp.
Good input. I have been looking and researching this subject, if you want to ride much of the year in this area you have to have good rain gear or get wet a lot.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:58 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by racinghoss
I have been riding with Olympia gear for a few years now and I ride rain of shine I posted way be at #37. The gear is made well and made for motorcycling!

Old 07-25-2016, 02:54 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Humans are for the most part, waterproof, ride Nakid.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:17 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn
After doing a couple of searches, it looks like this is the preferred rain suit:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/hi-vis-rain-suit

But all the threads were a few years old. So before I spring for this one, I would appreciate any up to date info.

Thanks,
Brad
I purchased a Olympia two piece rain suit. I like it.
http://olympiamotosports.com/product...rs-learn-more/

Old 05-20-2017, 03:53 PM
GADAWGFAN#1
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

My frogg togg experience was not good. Second or third time I wore my jacket (higher priced version) the zipper broke...I had lost the receipt so I was SOL. Currently using fishing bibs with zippered legs - WEST MARINE and a MOTO Centric jacket. Works great and bone dry.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:00 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by warprints
Preferred over what? Other Harley branded rain gear?
Save a lot of money and get a Frogg Toggs rain suit.
I would shy away from Frogg Toggs. Buy a dedicated rain suit. A trip at the end of April, me and a buddy left from the Texas Panhandle back to Minneapolis. We rode in rain for two days straight. Sleet and just missed snow on several occasions. He had frogg toggs and both days got wet very early despite being sealed as tight as that junk (for motorcycling) would allow. I stayed dry for a good 8 hours. HEAVY rain. Eventually........rain finds its way in though. It just depends how long that takes.

You want: elastic on ankles, wrists, and tight neck area. I have a harley suit (bought in a pinch on the road when I forgot to pack) and a first gear. The harley is good, the First Gear is great.

YMMV

Old 05-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
I would shy away from Frogg Toggs. Buy a dedicated rain suit. A trip at the end of April, me and a buddy left from the Texas Panhandle back to Minneapolis. We rode in rain for two days straight. Sleet and just missed snow on several occasions. He had frogg toggs and both days got wet very early despite being sealed as tight as that junk (for motorcycling) would allow. I stayed dry for a good 8 hours. HEAVY rain. Eventually........rain finds its way in though. It just depends how long that takes.

You want: elastic on ankles, wrists, and tight neck area. I have a harley suit (bought in a pinch on the road when I forgot to pack) and a first gear. The harley is good, the First Gear is great.

YMMV
Just to add: Tour Master makes decent gear as well, BUT I own two of their rain suits and both pair of pants failed. I say this because their prices are attractive but IMO their rain gear isn't built to last.

First Gear makes great gear and continues to improve all around.

Last edited by Wowser; 05-20-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:25 PM
USMC2010
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a one piece tourmaster that lasted for about 15 years until it failed in 2000. I now have a one piece HD suite but wish I had gone for a two piece set instead.

Quick Reply: Is this still the preferred rain gear?