General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this still the preferred rain gear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 03:01 PM
joe-yamma
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have this suit and it has worked great for me.
well made with a lot of little features.
i bought it used only once from a forum member

Old 07-18-2016, 03:04 PM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 157 Likes on 60 Posts

I got Frogg Toggs for use on my ATV in the mud. But have the HD ones for the bike (the cheaper version). They work okay and haven't leaked in 9 years and many, many uses. The main reason I bought them is that they pack up into a really small pouch. Space was a critical item for me and these fit the bill.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:09 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1
I bet those work real well against the exhaust should you have to put your right leg down.
Mine are fine - they are British army though. They haven't melted onto the exhaust, although I am careful to keep my leg away from the pipe if possible.

Having said that, most rain gear is going to melt against your pipes if they are hot enough unless you have a heat shield of some type.

Sew a bit of nomex or similar on the inside of the right shin if you are worried.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I just wanna pay for the rain suit; not a licensing agreement. Now if HD is willing to give me the rain suit you linked up I would wear it.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:57 PM
Sapman
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it depends on your riding style. Will you have the option of waiting for the rain to pass or will you need to ride to make a destination? If you have to continue to ride no matter what the weather is like, go for the best suit you can afford. I have the hi-vis and wear it at least a dozen times a year. Before i got the hi-vis, I wore my Gore-Tex jacket and pants thinking I had it made. Gore-Tex was water resistant for about 75 miles before it finally let the water through. That's when I got the hi-vis. Great rain gear.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:40 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Sapman, if your gear is true branded GoreTex you should contact them. GoreTex is guaranteed waterproof for life I believe.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:46 PM
Sapman
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure the Air Force will not stand behind the Gore-Tex they issued me but, I could ask.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:20 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

I had to purchase it last year after I tossed my frog tog in the trash on along trip. It is the best rain gear I have ever road in.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:45 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is this still the preferred rain gear?

If you want to do it once, and do it right, this is what you buy. There's a rubber patch on the seat of the pants to keep you from sliding when the saddle pools with water, there's a big waterproof pocket on the front of the thigh area that's easily accessible, there's elastic stirrups that hook under your boots to keep the legs from sliding up in the wind, there's a hood that's designed so you don't feel any uncomfortable seams under your helmet, and there's high-viz reflectors to give you confidence that you'll be seen in those horrible conditions. I waited too long to buy a set, but I'm glad I own one now after owning one for about four years. If you ride in the rain you'll appreciate it.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:47 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1

I went for the Olympia Rain gear, (about $175 pants & Jacket) great visibility and keeps me as dry as rain gear can and is made for motorcycling, a lot of adjustability and heat resistant patches on the inside of the lower legs, but I have read that the HighVis HD gear is very good as well.
Same here with the Olympia. In addition to the features mentioned above, each piece has a built in stuff sack, so it compacts very nicely. I also like the built in vents on the jacket, stowable rain hood and all the adjustments. I have yet to get wet wearing this. Very well made.

Quick Reply: Is this still the preferred rain gear?