General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda puzzled on exhaust law

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:43 AM
outfishin35
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinda puzzled on exhaust law

My Dad lives in Denver Co. Yesturday he got pulled over by an LEO on a Harley. The reason was to check his exhaust... Its not loud by any means, yes he has his baffles in, All the officer did was pull out a mirror checked the under sides with a mirror and wrote him a ticket. The Ticket stated not equipped with approved exhaust related to the revised municiple code sec.36-86 My dad asked WTF does that mean... the officer stated it has no DOT or factory stamps of any sorts.So you will have to appear in front of a judge andan environmentalperson will be there also.... its a no point ticket but they won't tell him the fine either till he appears...anyone else run into this?

Old 05-21-2007, 12:14 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Kinda puzzled on exhaust law

Basically anything louder than stock is illegal.

http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...0257&sid=6

Sec. 36-8. Motor vehicle noise.

(a)No person shall operate nor shall the owner permit the operation of any motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles at any time or place when such operation exceeds the following noise sound pressure levels for the category of motor vehicle and for the designated time period as specified in Table B. The standards in Table B shall apply to all noise emitted from motor vehicles including any and all equipment thereon, under any condition of acceleration, deceleration, idle, grade or load and whether or notin motion.[/align][/align]
__________[/align][/align]

TABLE B
Maximum Allowable Noise Sound Pressure Levels for Motor Vehicles[/align][/align][/align]
TABLE INSET:[/align][/align]

Type of Vehicle
Time Period
Maximum Allowable Sound Pressure Level
Measurement Distance from Motor Vehicle

Motor vehicles weighing less than 10,000 pounds, manufacturers gross vehicle weight
At any time
80 dB(A)
25 feet [/align]
__________[/align][/align]
(b)It shall be unlawful for any person to drive or move, or for the owner of any motor vehicle to permit to be driven or moved any motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles at any time, which is not equipped with any exhaust muffler approved by this chapter.[/align][/align]
(c)It shall be unlawful for any person or for the owner of a motor vehicle to modify or change the exhaust muffler, air intake muffler or any other sound reducing device in such a manner that the noise emitted from the motor vehicle exceeds the sound pressure levels as established in Table B of this section or, is increased above the sound pressure level of the vehicle as originally manufactured. Muffler cut-outs, by-passes or other devices which increase sound pressure levels, or change the original manufactured exhaust system of any motor vehicle shall be considered a violation of this chapter.[/align][/align]
(Code 1950, § 717.8; Ord. No. 237-99, § 6, 3-29-99)[/align][/align]
Cross references: Traffic regulation, Ch. 54. [/align][/align]
State law references: Noise restrictions on the sale of new vehicles, C.R.S. 1973, 25-12-106. [/align][/align]

Old 05-21-2007, 12:44 PM
outfishin35
Cruiser

HMMMM... well the officer never used a decible meter and did tell the ole man that his bike wasn;t loud.... so i wonder whats going on here? i guess harrassment or a cheap excuse to ticket...

Old 05-21-2007, 12:50 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Colorado and all I get are waves from the cops.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:55 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe the cop's wife ran off with some guy on the back of a harley. Maybe he's just a dickweed. Who knows.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:14 PM
skinhead
Cruiser

well , in that case , there would be more tickets on my sporty than just a non-dot stamp. but i have never been stopped for nonsense like this before , i think i would probably have a fit for something like this. sorry for your dad and his troubles.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:29 PM
outfishin35
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: skinhead

well , in that case , there would be more tickets on my sporty than just a non-dot stamp. but i have never been stopped for nonsense like this before , i think i would probably have a fit for something like this. sorry for your dad and his troubles.

He's taking with a smile so far....just has to wait till the 20th of june for the court date... He'd understand if was ticketed for something more concrete...like speeding or loud exhaust or what ever.... Just thinking though...if there need to be DOT numbers on your pipes...i guess custom exhaust is no longer leagal....lol Time will tell....

Old 05-21-2007, 02:12 PM
wehohl
Novice

What state is your dad in?

Old 05-21-2007, 02:14 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I got a ticket for LOUD exhaust in CA. All I had to do was put my stock pipes back on, get it inspected and pay $10, and then I put the other exhasut back on. Always a bs ticket about exhaust. The officer is looking for easy tickets to write...[:@]

Old 05-21-2007, 02:34 PM
outfishin35
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: wehohl

What state is your dad in?
Colorado, Denver

Quick Reply: Kinda puzzled on exhaust law