General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda puzzled on exhaust law

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:09 PM
BrianDamage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kinda puzzled on exhaust law

ORIGINAL: aliandray

Just a quick note from the UK. We got the O2 sensors in the pipes on the 07 models and you will get them this 08 model year, it was to comply with new EU legislation on emissions and noise. The stock EU 07's are quiet at 30 since that is the drive-by noise test speed, but they do make more noise at 50 to 60 than the EU 06's did, but they are still not what you call noisy. Trouble with the 02 sensor is if you fit other mufflers and take it out, the engine management does not like it. There are of course workrounds with PCIII and others, but the aftermarket has not been quick and the legislation in place now is forcing dealers to re-think about new bikes and muffler options.

When I got my Sportster new in March 05 the dealer did the stage 1 and fitted the screamin eagles - there is now no way the dealers are allowed to do it and my local dealer is clearing out all his V&H pipes. Dealers over here are not allowed to fit non road-legal pipes any more and not allowed to have them on their premises. This may also have been the case a year or 2 ago, but perhaps no-one bothered enforcing it - things have really changed. When I spoke to the dealer a few weeks ago about likely muffler options in 08 they were talking about road legal mufflers with removable or tunable baffles. I think the after market will go through big changes in this direction in the next year or so, especially when you guys get the emissions stuff on the 08's. I think you will see some big changes over there is terms of noise and emissions in the next few years - we have been getting quieter for a while now.

I think the 2007 models here in the US also have the O2 sensors.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:56 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do think that if you install the aftermarket pipes you need to retain your old pipes and the hardware necessary to reinstall the old pipes. Then at least you have the option of putting the quiet pipes back on if you have to go through an inspection.

My old pipes and hardware are in the V&H box up in the attic. I oiled them down real good to keep the chrome looking good, thinking that at some point we will have to go through DEQ like the cars do.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:12 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

That's how I feel about it...if I get a ticket I'll toss back on my stockers, fight the ticket, get an inspection, then re-install the V&H straights...so far I haven't heard of any body I know getting written up...it's a BS way of tapping into our wallets IMO.
ORIGINAL: bobber77

Loud Pipes save lives !! , I'll take the ticket, end of story.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:06 PM
aliandray
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: BrianDamage

ORIGINAL: aliandray

Just a quick note from the UK. We got the O2 sensors in the pipes on the 07 models and you will get them this 08 model year, it was to comply with new EU legislation on emissions and noise. The stock EU 07's are quiet at 30 since that is the drive-by noise test speed, but they do make more noise at 50 to 60 than the EU 06's did, but they are still not what you call noisy. Trouble with the 02 sensor is if you fit other mufflers and take it out, the engine management does not like it. There are of course workrounds with PCIII and others, but the aftermarket has not been quick and the legislation in place now is forcing dealers to re-think about new bikes and muffler options.

When I got my Sportster new in March 05 the dealer did the stage 1 and fitted the screamin eagles - there is now no way the dealers are allowed to do it and my local dealer is clearing out all his V&H pipes. Dealers over here are not allowed to fit non road-legal pipes any more and not allowed to have them on their premises. This may also have been the case a year or 2 ago, but perhaps no-one bothered enforcing it - things have really changed. When I spoke to the dealer a few weeks ago about likely muffler options in 08 they were talking about road legal mufflers with removable or tunable baffles. I think the after market will go through big changes in this direction in the next year or so, especially when you guys get the emissions stuff on the 08's. I think you will see some big changes over there is terms of noise and emissions in the next few years - we have been getting quieter for a while now.

I think the 2007 models here in the US also have the O2 sensors.
Actually that was my mistake, you are right, what I meant was that the 07 EU models all have what is called an active exhaust valve.

This "active exhaust valve" has a motor driven butterfly valve in the exhaust which at certain RPM and in certain gears closes so the standard DUAL pipes act as a 2 into 1 and quieten down. You are going to get this featurethis year on the08's. It means more complex switching of pipes and staging.