General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda puzzled on exhaust law

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:22 PM
IndyRider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kinda puzzled on exhaust law

I am riding out to South Dakota and Wyoming next month from Indiana. Hopefully SD and WY are not doing this. I guess we will see.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:48 PM
ronster
Road Master

[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 05-21-2007, 11:58 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just checked my stock mufflers in the basement. They are stamped that they meet federal 80db sound regulations. That is what the cop was looking for. So tell him to get a stock set on ebay, put Big City Thunder Baffles in them and ride it to court and tell the Judge he bought the bike that way but had the dealer put new factory exhaust on it.

If I get busted, I'll just get the BCT baffles for $125 and leave the stock ones on.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:05 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer

Not sure what the implications are on the emissions control/environmental side of things. In cars, removing cats and/or substantially modifying your exhaust can bring thousands of dollars in potential fines. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm not sure what emission controls, if any, are on the bikes, so I'm not sure if that has anything at all to do with your dad getting pulled.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:25 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: WouldBeHD

Not sure what the implications are on the emissions control/environmental side of things. In cars, removing cats and/or substantially modifying your exhaust can bring thousands of dollars in potential fines. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm not sure what emission controls, if any, are on the bikes, so I'm not sure if that has anything at all to do with your dad getting pulled.
The usual way the regulation is interpreted is that any modification that changes the amount of emissions per mile is unlawful. That would include gearing changes, tire diameter changes, car jetting changes, EFI map changes, etc. Most everything we do is technically illegal. Oh well.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:44 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer

ORIGINAL: pococj
The usual way the regulation is interpreted is that any modification that changes the amount of emissions per mile is unlawful. That would include gearing changes, tire diameter changes, car jetting changes, EFI map changes, etc. Most everything we do is technically illegal. Oh well.
Indeed...definitely won't stop me from doing some basic and/or bigger upgrades.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:20 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

Here's the Louisiana law. Louisiana Revised Statutes 32:352, 353

§352. Mufflers; requirements; prevention of excessive noise, fumes and smoke
A. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
B. No person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway of this state.
C. The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.
Acts 1962, No. 310, §1.

§353. Modification of exhaust systems
No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle, above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle and the original muffler shall comply with all of the requirements of R.S. 32:352.
Acts 1962, No. 310, §1.

I was looking for a different law and found this one at this link for all of you Louisiana riders.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?folder=106

postamble();

Old 06-10-2007, 10:34 AM
bobber77
Intermediate

I was pulled over inManitoba Canada last year for my cobra dragsters, and received a ticket for "illegal pipes" due to the night stick fit inside the baffels. No decibel meter was produced.I fought it based on this, and asked the judge to clarify the law, he suggested I contact the police for clarification! Needless to say charges were dropped, but I had to pay the $30.00 court cost fee, I sum this up as: got a ticket from a cop that always wanted a Harley but who's wife would not let him have one.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:09 PM
aliandray
Cruiser

Just a quick note from the UK. We got the O2 sensors in the pipes on the 07 models and you will get them this 08 model year, it was to comply with new EU legislation on emissions and noise. The stock EU 07's are quiet at 30 since that is the drive-by noise test speed, but they do make more noise at 50 to 60 than the EU 06's did, but they are still not what you call noisy. Trouble with the 02 sensor is if you fit other mufflers and take it out, the engine management does not like it. There are of course workrounds with PCIII and others, but the aftermarket has not been quick and the legislation in place now is forcing dealers to re-think about new bikes and muffler options.

When I got my Sportster new in March 05 the dealer did the stage 1 and fitted the screamin eagles - there is now no way the dealers are allowed to do it and my local dealer is clearing out all his V&H pipes. Dealers over here are not allowed to fit non road-legal pipes any more and not allowed to have them on their premises. This may also have been the case a year or 2 ago, but perhaps no-one bothered enforcing it - things have really changed. When I spoke to the dealer a few weeks ago about likely muffler options in 08 they were talking about road legal mufflers with removable or tunable baffles. I think the after market will go through big changes in this direction in the next year or so, especially when you guys get the emissions stuff on the 08's. I think you will see some big changes over there is terms of noise and emissions in the next few years - we have been getting quieter for a while now.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:51 PM
bobber77
Intermediate

Loud Pipes save lives !! , I'll take the ticket, end of story.

Quick Reply: Kinda puzzled on exhaust law