General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda puzzled on exhaust law

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
texas tom
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kinda puzzled on exhaust law

Crap a group of us are going to sturgis from tx this year our route we planned on will take us through denver,do we need to rethink our route?

Old 05-21-2007, 03:19 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It does seem that more and more communities are getting a little tired ofnon-stockpipes and are starting to take stronger measures.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:23 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

remind me to NOT drive thru Denver. The pipes on my bike were on it when I got it, so not even sure what brand they are. They are louder than stock, but quieter than the Thunderheader Slip-Ons that were on my previous bike. They however, are stamped right on top (under the saddlebag) "For Non highway use only"

Old 05-21-2007, 03:29 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Our groupis touring Colorado for a week this summer. I've got V&H oval slip-ons which is what the Oklahoma Highway Patrol uses on their Road Kings. I can hear it now, "I don't give a rat's *** what the OHP has on their bikes, you're in Colorado now boy." [:@]

Old 05-21-2007, 03:51 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

too much time on their hands if they are pulling that shiite. who was the environmentalist he had to meet with, Al gore?

Old 05-21-2007, 04:45 PM
chippy
3rd Gear

I was pulled over last year in sw Wisconsin for having mufflers that were not original to my bike. The mufflers that I had on were Vance & Hines slip-on mufflers for my Roadking. I have not modified them in any way (still have the baffles in). I was not fined but I wasrequired to put the original stock mufflers back on and have the local sherriffs dept. sign off that I had complied. Of course, I laterre-installed my V &H slip-ons (I couldn't hear my bike running going down the highway with the stock mufflers).By the way, it was a Wisconsin State trooper and they are really cracking down on "Loud Pipes"......

Old 05-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Jake88
Tourer

I dont see what the problem is if you can purchase the pipes from a dealer or company and they have baffles in them? That's the problem with our society, we are pulling people over for loud pipes while a real crime is taking place!! And I am not disrespecting LEOS because I think those guys rank up there with the Military, but some people just dont have a life!! My .02

Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM
outfishin35
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Jake88

I dont see what the problem is if you can purchase the pipes from a dealer or company and they have baffles in them? That's the problem with our society, we are pulling people over for loud pipes while a real crime is taking place!! And I am not disrespecting LEOS because I think those guys rank up there with the Military, but some people just dont have a life!! My .02
The officer who pulled my Dad over said his bike was quiet....just didn't have approved pipes...wierd is all i can say.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Jake88
Tourer

What exactly is an approved pipe? Maybe we should ask Jesse James?? [8D]

Old 05-21-2007, 08:45 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Can we say, "1984"? Boys, it has been pretty much illegal to swap out mufflers on any motor vehicle since sometime in the mid - late '70s, federal law-wise. Of course the feds ain't gonna come into town and enforce it. But now many local gooberments are passing laws that require DOT mufflers, and they don't give a rat's butt how loud the pipes actually are. It's a lot easier to enforce than sound pressure levels because you don't need the equipment to measure with, don't need to show proof of calibration, and don't have to train anybody.

Quick Reply: Kinda puzzled on exhaust law