Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Harley Salute

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The Harley Salute

I always give the one finger down low. My way of pointing and saying " I see you dude" or as in the case of some - dudette.

The only time I dont is if I'm in the middle of a shift or tricky turn.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 10-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Crowdog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jcc/tx has it same as me..i'm an old man and the two finger low wave when I was young was for "keep both tires on the pavement" (be safe.)

I wave to everyone on two wheels (with a motor attached )....always seems to suprise the people riding small scooters.

I don't care if ya ride a 50cc moped or a "Mondo" bike..ya all good with me.

Ride safe.

Crow

Old 10-02-2005, 12:26 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

If they don't wave back I hang a U and wack them with the 2 x 4 I carry for just such occasions. I usually wave to all bikes, except Gold Wings and Trikes...I give them the finger.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:33 AM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I always give the low v-twin wave.I really don't care if you wave back or not.I just figure if you don't you're an *** Hole OR you didn't see me (makes me no difference).I don't care what you ride as long as you ride.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Screwball, you've got the right idea and that's exactly how I'm going to handle it in the future.

Harley Rulz you're on the right track, but I've got two words for you.... 2 x 4!

Old 10-02-2005, 10:12 AM
k2Hill
Intermediate

I remember when I first started riding, no one told me about the biker wave/salute. The first time I did it, I swear I almost crashed my bike! I realized that it could be a dangerous thing sticking your arm out like that if you are going a decent speed. I had to learn to tuck that thing in. Anyway, when I was in NC riding my sport bike, every rider on a sport bike, harley or other always gave the down low peace sign. Here in Cali or at least in my part of San Diego, I have noticed that people dont usually wave. I don't know what it is, either we are going really fast and just trying to hang on or lately I seem to always pass another bike while I am cornering, which makes it difficult to wave. I always try to wave or give a head nod, except if I am going really fast and trying to hang on or cornering.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,823 Likes on 802 Posts

I give and usually get the down low V salute. OF course there are times when I can't wave, or I don't see the other rider until they've passed already...

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 10-03-2005, 12:51 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mrkicks,

It's just that flatlander attitude that keeps peeps from waving. [sm=joke.gif] Actually, I am about an hour north of the Chicago area up here in Hog Heaven about 30 minutes from Milwaukee. About 75% of folks will give some sort of wave and most are the two-finger down low type. I always try to wave and usually get a response but only about 10% of Goldwings will wave back so I have given up on them (seriously, I get a much better response from young riders on crotch rockets...I don't know what's up with the Wingers). If I am busy shifting I will still manage to offer a big nod and an obvious smile.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Low wave for me. But if your on a long run like the 15 or 5 frwy the other side of the frwy is kinda far so if ya want them to see you wave you have to raise that hand.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Fatbernie
Road Captain

I like to generally wave and acknowledge other riders out there. It's a good feeling to appear to belong to this invisible brotherhood (sisterhood) or motorcycle community. I only don't enjoy waving at about 65 MPH and stick out my arm too far and have it come back and hit me in my own butt. I remember the first time i did this and now am very careful about it. But definitely keep the salute alive.

Quick Reply: The Harley Salute