General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wide glide front tire wear faster than rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 10:14 AM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default wide glide front tire wear faster than rear

my 2012 wide glide has 11k miles on the stock michelin scorcher 31's. The rear still has lots of life, but the front is down to the wear bar. it has even wear and nothing abnormal besides how much quicker it wore out than the rear. anyone else get this? haven't found very much at all on it. everything else I own the rear goes quicker, but then again the front is tiny I these wide glides. just ordered a 90/90/21 for it last night.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 531 Posts

typical.....2 fronts to one rear....I'm backwards...two rear to 1 front..duuuuu !!!

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 07-02-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:47 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

You should stop by the Dyna Forum

Pretty common with the Wide Glide; frame geometry is part of the reason. The trail can cause a shear effect at the contact patch as you turn in, the front has less tendency to roll causing earlier wear. The overly soft suspension and front end dive is also a factor in the accelerated tire wear.

Upgrading your front forks with a heavier fork oil and better/heavier springs will help not only with improved handling, but the front tire wear.

You'll love the Pirelli Night Dragon; they're all I use

Old 07-02-2016, 12:20 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Plus 1 on the Pirelli Night Dragons. I'm on my 2nd set and love them. Never had the problem with the front tire you're having, and I also have the skinny 90/90 21" front tire on my Softail Custom.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:38 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

One thing to add: Be mindful of your tire pressures with the Dragons. People who run their front too low report having scalloping/cupping problems and handling issues when cornering. The more rounded profile of the Dragons and lower tire pressures don't seem to mix well.

I've found 39 - 40 PSI on the 90/90-21 front and 42 - 43 PSI on the rear 180/60-17 Night Dragons give me the best handling and tire wear.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:32 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
typical.....2 fronts to one rear....
My Breakout is just the opposite but my Blackline was one for one.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:21 PM
agove
Road Captain

thanks for the replies, thats good to hear. I thought maybe because it was smaller ot might wear faster, but wasn't sure. anyways the tire I ordered last night is the pirelli night dragon. wish I had the cash to do the front and back right now, but the back still has life so I have to wait a bit.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:24 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by agove
thanks for the replies, thats good to hear. I thought maybe because it was smaller ot might wear faster, but wasn't sure. anyways the tire I ordered last night is the pirelli night dragon. wish I had the cash to do the front and back right now, but the back still has life so I have to wait a bit.
Running a Scorcher on the rear and a Night Dragon on the front do pay attention to how the bike falls in to corners. The Dragon has a more rounded profile and wants to fall in, the Scorchers profile is much flatter and doesn't want to fall in as well. I've always changed out my rear tires when I change out the front, I've used the front as my gauge as to when front and rear tires are changed out. Be mindful of the profile differences, that Dragon wants to fall in to a corner; the Scorcher, not so much

Old 07-02-2016, 06:40 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice

I've found 39 - 40 PSI on the 90/90-21 front and 42 - 43 PSI on the rear 180/60-17 Night Dragons give me the best handling and tire wear.
I run the same psi on my 90/90-21 front and 200/55-17 rear.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:45 PM
agove
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Running a Scorcher on the rear and a Night Dragon on the front do pay attention to how the bike falls in to corners. The Dragon has a more rounded profile and wants to fall in, the Scorchers profile is much flatter and doesn't want to fall in as well. I've always changed out my rear tires when I change out the front, I've used the front as my gauge as to when front and rear tires are changed out. Be mindful of the profile differences, that Dragon wants to fall in to a corner; the Scorcher, not so much
thanks for the heads up, I appreciate that. if it feels weird or unsafe, I'll change it right away. I'm seperating from the military in a few months and I'm trying to save as much as possible, but I'll spend it if safety is an issue.

Quick Reply: wide glide front tire wear faster than rear