General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should you have checked first?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What should you have checked first?

Got my bike back form the shop after a wreck rebuild and riding to shake it down. Buddy and I left home for the next town. After 10 minutes, we turn right at a stop sign and hit em pretty good, all of a sudden my 95 UC is skipping and bucking then quits. I coast to a stop and it cranks right back up but quits again after 1/4 mile. WTF? After several minutes of this, I send the buddy for his trailer. He comes back and we put the bike up and tie it down.. Oh crap ! The left tire is almost flat. No prob. He's got a small compressor. Have to plus it into my cig lighter though and I step on the back of the trailer to plug it in. The trailer comes off the ball and heads skyward. WTF? After unsucessfully trying to tighten his hitch, we can't. I decide to ride the bike home. So we figure teh tank is filled with dust from the painter asn we;ll remove the gas line at the petcock to see if it is flowing. NOPE. (Vacuum petcock , remember? we didn't) WE go to the carb side and decide to remove the gas line there. Low an behold , wefind the gas line alomst bent double much as you would stop the water on your garden hose. I pull on the gas line from the left side of the bike,pull the excess curl around the front of the horn and voila, fire the bike up and ride 20 miles home. No problems since. Simple fix but why didn't I check it first?
Anybody have this happen to them?

What should you have checked first?

Bubba

Old 05-20-2007, 11:47 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What should you have checked first?

Debug mode.....sorry about your luck,,,,least u got it

Old 05-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I'd probably still be on the side of the road trying to figure it out. At least you found the problem!

Old 05-21-2007, 12:21 AM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had a similar problem one cold dark winter night. was riding on the freeway hiome and usuallly will keep left hand under left lower corner of tank by fuel line disconnect, usually with the disconnect between two of my fingers. was cruising along and put both hands on the bars and a couple secs later engine starts to cut out and dies. wtf? it's pitch black and i had just put in my pcIII so i'm thinking it **** the bed on me. remove the side cover and fish out the harness and making sure all is plugged in ok. and it's dark, very dark. call my partner and tell him to come by my house grab the trailer and come get me. then a highway patrolman comes up to investigate why i'm on the side of the road pulling a bike apart. asks whats going on, gets my info, runs me and checkes the numbers on the bike to ensure their is no unlawfulness happening. after making sure i was on the up and up he tells me that the fuel line is hanging down from the tank. so like the genius i am i reattatch and the biike fires up. i don't ride with my hand near the the disconnect anymore.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:40 AM
Reds_bear
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[align=left]Never trust a mechanic. Pilots around the world know this, and it applies to anything a mechanic touches. They're human, they screw up. Nothing against the wrenches, but mistakes happen and if the driver/rider/pilot checks everything with fresh eyes we're all better off...
[/align][align=right] [/align]