General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016 | 11:37 AM
gus4440
Road Captain

Just be yourself. Show a little courtesy on the road to all vehicles. And don't leave your fricken bike blocking the gas pump while you are dicking around for 30 minutes. Get your gas and move it out of the way..the rest of us want gas too.

Old 06-26-2016 | 07:23 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tommy C
Don't dress up like a pirate unless you are a pirate.
Amen, look ridiculous and you're not much of an ambassador to motorcycling.

Old 06-27-2016 | 04:53 AM
peg20
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Ride what you want
Wear what you want
Wave if you want or don't
Use common sense

Just because you purchased a motorcycle to ride does not mean you are now part of a secret society or large fraternity where everyone must live/ride by the same guidelines.

A motorcycle gives me a sense of freedom. Freedom to me means doing what I want to do, wearing what I want to wear and saying to hell with confirming to what others think a motorcycle owner should ride, wear or do when riding.

Too many folks now days worry to much about what others folks do
This. A Harley is a motorcycle, not an excuse for fancy dress. Wear clothes that give you your own preferred balance between comfort and safety. Incorporating any other influences just makes you look like a stereotype.

Old 06-27-2016 | 06:17 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by peg20
This. A Harley is a motorcycle, not an excuse for fancy dress. Wear clothes that give you your own preferred balance between comfort and safety. Incorporating any other influences just makes you look like a stereotype.
Yep. Ive been riding for a long number of years and often jump on the bike and take off with whatever I have on at the time. Never understood the need to put on a costume.

Some folks want to wear a lot of armored clothing like armored jeans, jackets etc... If that makes them feel more confident then I am all for it. Others feel they need a bunch of leather again its their call, what do I care

I wear western style boots most every day all day, when I decide to ride its most often with what ever boots and jeans I am wearing at the time. Only thing I am picky about is collar shirts with snaps on the collar to keep them from flapping in the wind. If its cool I put on a leather jacket, if the temps are low I put on chaps. If it is hot as hell I most often wear an UnderArmour type shirt under my outer shirt to wick away sweat and keep me cooler. If its long rides I often wear gloves with padded palms as I find the little bit of padding is more comfortable on all day rides.

I have a friend that whenever he decides to ride he has to put on his bike riding costume, I joke with him about it. In the end I don't really care its his choice and if it makes him happy then what does my opinion matter

Old 06-27-2016 | 06:33 AM
peg20
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Yep. Ive been riding for a long number of years and often jump on the bike and take off with whatever I have on at the time. Never understood the need to put on a costume.

Some folks want to wear a lot of armored clothing like armored jeans, jackets etc... If that makes them feel more confident then I am all for it. Others feel they need a bunch of leather again its their call, what do I care

I wear western style boots most every day all day, when I decide to ride its most often with what ever boots and jeans I am wearing at the time. Only thing I am picky about is collar shirts with snaps on the collar to keep them from flapping in the wind. If its cool I put on a leather jacket, if the temps are low I put on chaps. If it is hot as hell I most often wear an UnderArmour type shirt under my outer shirt to wick away sweat and keep me cooler. If its long rides I often wear gloves with padded palms as I find the little bit of padding is more comfortable on all day rides.

I have a friend that whenever he decides to ride he has to put on his bike riding costume, I joke with him about it. In the end I don't really care its his choice and if it makes him happy then what does my opinion matter
Oh, I have motorcycle clothes that I wear for motorcycling. They are always a compromise between ultimate protection and wearability off the bike, and yes, I change into them if I'm going out on the bike (but then obviously don't change again wherever I've got to). But those are the only influences -- protection and comfort.

The basic issue is this: Everyone has their own fashion choices that they make, and that's normal. The mistake is thinking that riding a motorcycle (or indeed a Harley) automatically makes your peculiar fashion choices seem "normal". It doesn't. If you'd look like a tool wearing your pirate costume walking around the mall, you will look just as big a tool when sitting on or standing next to your bike. The argument that people should worry about what they want to wear and look like and not others is good advice, but not everyone follows it. So you WILL be judged on what you wear. If you don't have a thick enough skin to accept people forming opinions of you wearing your pretty costume walking the kids to school, then doing the same whilst riding your bike doesn't offer any more protection.

Wear what you want to wear. But just be aware that people are going to form opinions of you for what you are wearing irrespective of the bike between your legs. So don't come complaining to the group when you get picked on by the bigger kids.