General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:35 PM
ejewels
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust Gasket Question

Hey All,

What's the consensus on gaskets for aftermarket pipes like Vance and Hines? I know mine came with SE style thinner ones. V&H strictly says to use these style gaskets. However it seems some use OEM And prefer them. Where I'm confused, is why would V&H tell you to use a specific style yet some seem to install the OEM kind? Does it do harm if you use the larger OEM gaskets?

Old 06-16-2016, 10:25 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,097 Likes on 5,009 Posts

the se ones are smaller, and give a better flow for the exhaust. It doesn't matter which you actually use, You're not drag racing. I have had sets of pipes that wouldn't seal with the SE ones and had to use the bigger gasket, something about the pipe fit, I guess. I would initially use the se ones, If no problems, then, don't worry. Its not like the bike is going to blow up! Its an exhaust gasket, don't overthink it!!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:29 PM
ejewels
Cruiser

Ok. So if one were to have leaks, they might try the OEM ones even with Vance and Hines? I thought I remembered hearing their pipes Aren't designed to work with OEM ones...

Old 06-16-2016, 10:44 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I am using the OEM mesh style with my Big Shots Longs. No leaks. Before I changed heads, I must've had my exhaust off 1/2 a dozen times and didn't have any trouble with the OEMs that were in there. Even with a pipe change.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:02 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

It's not about "stock" or "aftermarket" it's the shape and there are 2 different styles.
Wedge and Flat.
My knowledge is only 06 or better twincam A engines. The factory pipes have a distinct wedge shaped end or "nozzle",,( the end that enters the head). The stock gasket is wedge shaped to best accommodate the end. These are available as either HD or aftermarket.
Other styles of pipe like Screaming Eagle and many other "aftermarket" pipes don't have that shape and are inserted to the head and gasket as "flat".
HD stocks "Screaming Eagle" gaskets that are flat as well as many other "aftermarket" dealers.
So "Wedge" or "Flat",, which works best??
It really has to do with the installer and his technique,,both will work.

If your in a panic about your install, (yet) buy a punk stick, incense stick or light a cigarette an hold the free flowing smoke from the end of the above said smoke pudge near the head exhaust port, exhaust gasket and flange,, you will "see" if it's leaking.

Last edited by JohnMn; 06-17-2016 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:15 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Why would someone disregard the manufacturer's advice over what is read on the internet?

Old 06-17-2016, 02:23 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Poor eJewels keeps second guessing himself, there's no confidence.
This pipes, air-cleaner with tuner,,,, stage 1 upgrade "question period" he's got,, has been going on for a month.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:22 AM
ejewels
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Why would someone disregard the manufacturer's advice over what is read on the internet?
this is what I'm talking about and why I was asking. Good replies and knowledge here. The reason I'm asking is because the bike doesn't seem to pull any harder.... if anything it's less pull down front but that could just be my lack of riding over the past month and forgetting. So was thinking maybe there's a little leak robbing me of a few hp haha.

Last edited by ejewels; 06-17-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:52 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

Regardless of what style gaskets you use it is most important to get them seated into the exhaust port correctly. After having much difficulty trying to simply line them up and push them in by hand I finally figured out the correct method for getting them to seat properly.

I have a 36mm socket that has an OD of 1.85" and it is a perfect size to install the gaskets. Just get them started by hand then use the socket to push them in until they seat. You can use your 1/2" drive extension as a handle once they are started. They go in straight and seat flush to bottom of port every time.

However having said that, I still would use the manufacturers recommended gasket. I'm running a V & H True Dual header and use the S/E gaskets.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:37 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
the se ones are smaller, and give a better flow for the exhaust. It doesn't matter which you actually use, You're not drag racing. I have had sets of pipes that wouldn't seal with the SE ones and had to use the bigger gasket, something about the pipe fit, I guess. I would initially use the se ones, If no problems, then, don't worry. Its not like the bike is going to blow up! Its an exhaust gasket, don't overthink it!!
An exhaust gasket blowing, depending on the direction, can cause a hell of a burn on your leg!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Gasket Question