General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mikes Famous hd- what a waste

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:48 PM
theoldguy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mikes Famous hd- what a waste

Umm... feeling really out of touch here, but where is Mikes?

Old 05-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

newcastle deleware

Old 05-20-2007, 06:20 PM
UNCCHarley
Road Master

Obviously though more than 1 person is willing to overpay for a bike since he is still in business, and it sounds like he is expanding.

I have a friend that works for Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet and it is funny, people will come from over a thousand miles away just to say they bought a car there. Salespeople never leave because they can sell a brand new car for sticker and people will line up to pay it because it came from Earnhardt Chevrolet.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:27 PM
onephsyco1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also hear that they own or partialy own Planet Honda !

Jack

Old 05-20-2007, 11:01 PM
raindropfx
Cruiser

I bought my new scoot from Mike's Famous in Groton, CT. He just bought it out a couple of years ago. I bought two bikes from the previous owners. The shop is very sales oriented compared to before, but that seems to be the way all Harley shops are going. Don't forget, it's thein thing now to have a Harley.
A LOT of people buying a new bike don't know much about them. They'll let the shop add on all sorts of little chrome pieces at $85/hr labor. It quickly turns a $17kbike into a $19k and up bike. I knew what I was willing to pay (MSRP), so that's what I paid. The thing I didn't like was all the extra garbage they tried to push on me when I was doing the paper work. I just politely told the lady I would have to think about it.
All in all, Mike's of Groton, CT. seems no different than any other dealer in this area. They'll takewhat they can getfrom ya. You just have to be smart about the game.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:21 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their famous allright....for pulling the most $$ possible outta your wallet.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:07 AM
Bad Mojo
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jerseyjeff62

Cause they have no sales tax in del.they think they can ask more?
That's what my old supervisor was told when he called Mike's looking for a bike. The salesman told him they sell at more than MSRP, but less than he would pay with MD sales tax. He bought his bike elsewhere.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:53 AM
UNCCHarley
Road Master

The no sales tax means nothing unless you register the bike in DE. I live in NC, if I went and bought a bike at Mike's in DE I would pay the sales tax in NC, so that excuse is a flat out lie. You pay sales tax where you register the bike, not where you buy it.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Well I can't really complain about Mike's.....

Granted, they do list their bikes over MSRP and it's there for any sucker to pay if they don't do their homework. As someone else said in another post, if someone is willing to pay over MSRP, Mike's is willing to take the cash. When I bought mine back in July '05 I had done my homework, researched online at other dealerships and made several phone calls to those dealerships. When I walked in the front door at Mike's (Smyrna, Deleware location) I had a salesman coming running up to me within the first 30 seconds. I politely but sternly let him know I was there to look, spend time running things through my head, get comfortable and possibly make no decision at all. My last words to him were "I'm here to buy a bike but if another salesperson approaches me I'm out the door. If no one does, then I will come looking for you and you will get the commission". I wasn't bothered after that.

Of course when I found the guy he started with the basic salesman crap. I laid it out where I stood on things, that I know where the deals are at and I'm more than willing to travel that extra distance to save the bucks. I explained he had a choice; he either makes a commision on the price I'M willing to pay or no commision at all. When all wassaid and doneI walked out of there paying under MSRP and was handed a gift card for $500.00

So yes...they will sell a bike for as high as they possibly can but they will also work with you if they see you are serious.

Brian

Old 05-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

hey Brian...he was just scared of them big ole guns you got

Quick Reply: Mikes Famous hd- what a waste