General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in gusty winds!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 01:15 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Riding in gusty winds!!

I just came back from riding in fairly strong, gusty, winds. By gusty, I mean it would swirl and constantly change directions versus a straight wind. I rode for about an hour and everything was fine. Then the wind must of picked up and the bike started acting like I was on sand or ice. At first I thought it was a bad road surface.Then I figuredit must betire going flat, but they were okay. I am used to riding while it is a bit windy, during the winters, in SW Florida. I also spent most of my adult life riding in Wichita,KS, which is the second windiest city in the US.
It never did effect the direction or stability of the bike, it just felt like the bike was coming apart, as if something had broke loose.
Has anyone else experienced this feeling, during certain windy rides?
Tom

Old 05-19-2007, 01:24 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Riding in gusty winds!!

yep, makes it kinda fun sometimes. even more interesting when you're riding on the freeway in these conditions and also have to deal with the turbulence from a passing semi.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:28 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep , yesterday between Galax Va. and Wytheville, Va. on Int. 77. Going through the mountains you hit some pretty sudden ESS curves. Combining the gusty winds yesterday with the 80 mph Semis creating their own gusts cost me eight bucks for new underware. Getting through the ride in one piece and alive...................Priceless! LOL

Fairings seem to amplify the effects but, mainly, just relaxing the grips and praying seems to help!

EZ[sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 05-19-2007, 01:54 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah I've been there. It sure keeps your attention huh?

Old 05-19-2007, 02:08 PM
RazorFXDB
Tourer

I hear ya!! .. happened to me the other day on the highway. Felt like the rear end started fishtailing. Good for the heart I say.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Bluerose

Not unusual to get 25 - 30 mph gusts where I live. They give you a good wobble now and again....my daughter hates the feeling of the wobble...funny but the last 2 times the winds were nasty taking her for a ride.

The worst so far was up in the mountians where my parents live. 50 - 60 MPH sustained winds. You feel like you have to lean the bike over (like making a turn) so far your going to touch the ground. And that is just to stay riding straight and upright! [&:]

The coldest was when we unexpectedly got caught in 30 - 40 mph winds in 50 degree weather...brrrrrrrr!

Since I go over a very gusty pass in the mornings I actually watch the weather regularly. If the gusts are past 40 I sometimes reconsider riding. People drift everywhere in thier cars at that speed. I have seen them do 25 MPH on that pass because of bad wind.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:18 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Worst I ever experienced was on a long roadtrip with another fool to Newfoundland from N. Va. We were going up the West coast of Newfoundland , passing a place called "Table Rock" which is reputed to have the world's highest recorded wind speeds. For quite a stretch as we plodded North on loaded down bikes (camping gear plus take along sleeping bag warmer/sexual playmates) we leaned to the right into SUSTAINED sixty mph winds, occassionally gusting to God knows what speeds. After that , you'd think I could relax in the stuff we encounter here in the lower 48 BUT I still pucker sometimes!

That trip was back in about 1981 and I can still feel the force, pushing us Westward on the highway we shared with huge, loaded logging trucks!

EZ[sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 05-19-2007, 03:19 PM
siramazing
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do like the pilots of small airplanes do. Point the front into the wind. If the wind is coming from the left, just lean the bike to the left, and so on. Does help to mitigate the push of the wind. Of course, there is a limit. If the gusts are too strong, and you can't control the bike, sounds like it's time for a beer.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:21 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Just all a part of the fun.Called In The Wind!

Old 05-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Reminds me of a ride through Wyoming one time a few years back. Wind was so bad that if you didn't park the bike the right way, the wind would blow it over. Bicycle riders were being literally blown off the road. Finished the day and thought back about it .... it was really unsafe to be riding but we made it. As someone else said, loosen your grip on the bars and sort of go with it (to an extent). Ah Wyoming ... I do believe the state tree is a telephone pole.

Quick Reply: Riding in gusty winds!!