General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in gusty winds!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 09:13 PM
DMSC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding in gusty winds!!

Yeah...the winds will blow you around at times around here, too. I usually don't let it keep me off the bike, however. I've ridden in winds that were gusting around 40mph before. That's about my upper limit because above 30mph, it starts to not be fun anymore.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We rode in some wild winds today. It feels like you had a good workout when it is all over. 200 miles today. If you ever get to the Burlington, Iowa HD shop, go in. It is awesome. Best I've seen yet. Very nicely laid out, and some very nice vintage bikes on display.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

I like the 20-30mph winds. More than that though and I feel a bit unstable.

Don't ever wear a windbreaker type jacket with a hood in those winds though.. Between the hood and the force on my full face helmet one day I thought I was going to get pulled right off the bike.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:45 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your my hero,,,,thats the way to load a bike......

loaded down bikes (camping gear plus take along sleeping bag warmer/sexual playmates)

Old 05-20-2007, 12:34 AM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear ya when you talk about riding in Newfoundland....I was born there and biking there can be a real challenge for sure. You are never riding straight up I don't think...you are always in a lean angle. The logging trucks make it even more interesting on those narrow roads. There were days I did not ride because the wind was just to much.[:@] The attached picture is from a windy day along the coast in Newfoundland from a few years ago...notice the wave's on the water.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2324/9B5E040872064EF8AD9B248539D153AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Katie
Elite HDF Member

I just got back from what would have been a wonderful ride.. but it was windy & gusty & the semi's were something to reckon with.. add in the sun facing you, the dust from the fields, tree & people debris, overspray from the big field sprinklers & Birds! Holy Crap..they fly up from the side of the road then head right for you, even though they are pointed in another direction!
Stopped & grabbed a beer, then headed back, & although it was easier, the wind coming around some of the corners damn near nailed my butt to the side of the mountain!
My shoulders are just aching now... there have to be some tips & tricks for manoevering in this????

Old 05-20-2007, 01:14 AM
LAZYBOY
Tourer

a while back we had a dust/wind storm come in fast.. we were on the oklahoma state line when we saw the red dust from the west. we live about 80 miles south. by halfway we were leaning more than i had ever had to. the wind was not gusty so it was more stable than it first felt like. anyway, when i cleaned up the next day i saw that i had scuffed the rear tire about 2 inches higher on one side than the other. not something i want to do often, but i like to know i can.
stay safe

Old 05-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rode through a squall line of Hurricane Rita. Wind so strong you would lean into the wind, but when the gust stopped you'd better get the bike straight up or you would be on the concrete! Rain hurt. Did 35 miles like this to get home. Tim

Old 05-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Fearless1
Tourer

I ride thru the desert and over the mountains every day to and from work and ride in very high winds alot but if they are constant it's not bad but them there gusts are what get you had one hit me so hard one day I was a couple inches from being blown down in the ditch doing 65mph. You have to watch out for dirt devils out here and haboobs if you are riding and see a dirt devil stay way back there 3 times (at least) bigger than the actual devil itself I found out the hard way. I seen one coming across the desert and laid back just so I could pass behind it my mistake I should have stopped right there the winds were real bad as soon as I approached way out further than the dust devil you could see, just a good thing I had a tight grip at the time I was pelted with **** and tossed all over the place before I got it stopped. The Haboobs are a thing to see out here but not on a bike they are a wall of dirt and wind and when you ride into one it is so thick it becomes dark out in there. Very Very Dangerous but a sight to behold looking at a wall of dirt and debrie coming at you like that I think there one of the neatest things I have ever experienced in my life.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Ben U

Yep, I've been through tropic storms too on mine. The winds on the FLHTC aren't bad at all compared to aGoldwing I used to ride, those things act like a sail because the wind can't cut through the bike anywhere ... makes for an interesting riding day!

Quick Reply: Riding in gusty winds!!