General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hearing on the bike...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:56 PM
kwas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hearing on the bike...

Time and time again, bikers make the arguement about not wearing a helmet, not listening to loud music, not wearing ear phones to listen to mp3 players, and the likes all under "hearing" what's going on around them. Yet these same bikers have some of the loudest pipes made. I've ridden in my cage, infront of, next to and behind some and I can't hear my radio inside my cage over their pipes. That's with the windows rolled up.Oh yeah....Loud pipes save lives.....

With my radio off, I wouldn't hear a cage until it is beyond too late. I'm a LEO and been in accidents (rear ended and broadside) with the windows open and the only radio being on my hip. I didn't hear sh*t coming...... before metal crunching and glass breaking.

So the question is, who are we Bullsh**ing?

Old 05-19-2007, 01:12 PM
texas tom
Tourer
Default RE: Hearing on the bike...

No one just like em loud,besides its a lot of fun to get right next to some turkey talking on a cell phone not paying much attention to driving...

Old 05-19-2007, 01:26 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this post may have been directed toward me, but that's okay. I understand what you're saying, but if you're sitting a red light, a Harley's idle isn't that loud at all, and especially my bike..the idle is so low, that I can stand there beside it and talk to someone with no problem hearing them whatsoever. Now if I had earbuds stuck in my ears, it would DEFINATELY effect how well I can hear things going on around me, in a big way.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:35 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This argument is unsolveable because of one simple fact....in some cases, a loud exhaust can help you, and in some cases it can hurt you. I was riding in the left lane on one of my previous bikes with stock pipes..the car to the right of me started coming into my lane....I had to yell at the top of my lungs(and beep the horn) to get her attention (talking on the cell phone of course)...and then she went back into her lane waving appolagetically to me. In that instance, it took time for me to yell and beep the horn and brake so as to not get hit....had I had a louder pipe, she would've heard me before moving into my lane, and it would've been much less of a close call...that's a fact.

The other side of the coin is that a loud pipe can interfere with your hearing...which has it's obvious disadvantages in terms of driving safely and defensively.

No one will ever win this argument except the non-riders...those who can't stand bikers riding by their houses and shaking the furniture. So they work the political system and get noise laws put into place. In New Hope, PA, it has always been a great biker town (a little different at night for those of you who know what I'm talkin about )..now the cops are sitting on the side of the road with decible meters. The residents basically cut off their noses to spite their faces. Bikers brought a LOT of business into New Hope on the weekends...now they're (myself included) hesitant to go back. But part of this could've been solved if the bikers weren't driving through the town revving their motors, making it even louder. But the fact remains, people who don't ride will always be offended by bikers at least to some degree...whether we have loud pipes or not...once again, adding to the equation that there is no right answer to the loud pipes argument.

I think the best solution these days are the adjustable volume pipes. (I don't know much about them and maybe someone can explain that a little more...what is it..you can adjust the baffles or something???) You can be a responsible biker as far as sound is concerned.... and you can let it rip in situations that allow it. The loud pipes save lives argument will continue way past this thread...way past any thread, and will probably go on forever, or at least as long as there is such a thing as an aftermarket exhaust. Personally, I stand by my side of it...which is no side of it. The bottom line is, there is no right answer to that question.

Todd

Old 05-19-2007, 01:52 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

[sm=deadhorse.gif]

Old 05-19-2007, 04:09 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can hear over my V&H big shot staggered pipes with stock baffles... When I am sitting at a light, I can hear everything. Kids, basketballs bouncing, fat peoples thighs rubbing together(haha), other cars with mechanical problems, lights ticking(at intersections), the hot rod down the street, the burner bikes whining to catch up to you to show how fast they go. I can hear other Harleys when following them and all their unique sounds they make.. specially the older ones (hehe). I have no problem hearing with decently loud pipes.

One reason I wont listen to the radio (if I had one) while riding.. Yeah I have a ipod but I have never brought it with me to ride.

On the other hand... an accident waiting to happen... well that's why its an accident, you normally cant avoid them. Just try to be aware as possible, know techniques. I am sure as a LEO you know quite a bit of evasive action. I missed todays Ride Like a Pro because I am down with a head cold(bad one) and I really wanted to go.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:50 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you hear while driving your car and having the radio cranked??
If music is that big of a distraction for some people then it is a good thing they don't listen to it. Maybe it's hard for them to walk and chew gum at the same time as well.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:03 PM
SMSgt B
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Samson pipes and also wear ear plugs (for the wind)...still can hear what is going on...I think

Old 05-19-2007, 05:38 PM
kry226
Advanced

I wear earplugs everytime I ride the bike, loud pipes or not, full face helmet or not. I can still hear a car's horn if need be. I don't need to hear a car coming, never have. My head is on a swivel. I ride like I am invisible, have loud pipes so that those who don't see me will hear me, and I wear earplugs to protect them from wind noise. I never hear my pipes over the wind noise.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:45 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If yo0u are continuously scanning the road with your eyes sound won't really help that much IMO. Being aware is not only being able to hear but seeing as well. True that sometimes you might hear something you cannot see first, but I have not had that be an isue as of yet. When I have had accidents I was on quiet bikes everytime and that makes me wonder if I was on my LOUD Harley if the accidents would have even occurred. Hmmmmm...[sm=confused06.gif]

Quick Reply: Hearing on the bike...