General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was I expecting too much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016 | 03:13 AM
turbotom1052
|
Road Master
Default Was I expecting too much?

Went to my local dealerships Open House this past weekend. Now Ive been to many open houses over the years and looking back, see some of them as a real blast, and some of them as a snooze fest. However they all had one thing in common.... they all fed me while their salesman did their best to sell me a bike.
This open house was different. Got there to find not a snooze fest but a SAUSAGE fest. They did have a decent band but the only food available was a vendor charging ripoff prices. Along with a food vendor there were also product vendors that Ill bet were paying the dealership to set up their stands for the day. Of course there was the obligatory bikini bike wash featuring a couple of decent looking spinners young enough to be my granddaughters, but the main eye candy was the bikes that you couldn't even stop for a second to look at, without being mugged by way overly aggressive salesmen. All in all I seen it as a wasted tank of gas. My buddies and I were out of there pronto looking for some real food that was worth the money. Here is what I'm wondering??? Do you guys think I'm being a DICK and experiencing feelings of entitlement?

Old 05-31-2016 | 06:07 AM
halljm
Cruiser

Well if you have to ask that question one would think you already know the answer...

The following 2 users liked this post by halljm:
mmancuso (06-01-2016), RandyL (06-01-2016)
Old 05-31-2016 | 06:15 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior

I just wouldn't go to their open house again.

The dealer I use is a family owned business.
Their open house consists of FREE food and a blanket 20% off all parts and clothing.
Extremely deep discounted pricing on one offs and discontinued items.
Good deals on bike purchases with no salespeople pouncing on you.
No dancing girls, bands or bikini's.
It's an opportunity for the dealership to thank it's customers for the business, not to rip them off.

Old 05-31-2016 | 06:24 AM
DivineDark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
I just wouldn't go to their open house again.

The dealer I use is a family owned business.
Their open house consists of FREE food and a blanket 20% off all parts and clothing.
Extremely deep discounted pricing on one offs and discontinued items.
Good deals on bike purchases with no salespeople pouncing on you.
No dancing girls, bands or bikini's.
It's an opportunity for the dealership to thank it's customers for the business, not to rip them off.
This has been my experience at every open house that I've been too. I've always been really impressed with my local shops and their events.

Old 05-31-2016 | 08:49 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like the dealership grew tired of feeding people on their own dime.

Old 05-31-2016 | 08:59 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy

I am always stunned by people buying a motorcycle costing in excess of twenty thousand dollars bitching about not being able to get free five dollar meal. Bonus points for bitching about having to spend money on gas to get there. Triple bonus points for starting a thread about it.

Most of the time at these dealer events where they are selling food, bike washes etc. it is a fund raiser for some charity or person in need.

Old 05-31-2016 | 11:05 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

[QUOTE=turbotom1052;15193590 Here is what I'm wondering??? Do you guys think I'm being a DICK and experiencing feelings of entitlement?[/QUOTE]

..Yes.

Old 05-31-2016 | 11:12 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes, you are...

Old 05-31-2016 | 11:16 AM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior

It's very simple - the dealer looked at prior event costs and revenue driven from those events. Feeding a bunch of looky-loos apparently isn't profitable. Next time you are selling your bike, put on Craigslist that you are having an "open house" and make a bunch of kickass barbecue for everyone who takes a look. See how it goes.

The following users liked this post:
FattyMcJ (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016 | 11:17 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

I have seen them both. Guess the ones with vendors are mini-rallys. Hey, at least you have an option to leave or set up camp and watch the bikini bike wash.

Quick Reply: Was I expecting too much?