General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was I expecting too much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016 | 11:22 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by turbotom1052
Went to my local dealerships Open House this past weekend. Now Ive been to many open houses over the years and looking back, see some of them as a real blast, and some of them as a snooze fest. However they all had one thing in common.... they all fed me while their salesman did their best to sell me a bike.
This open house was different. Got there to find not a snooze fest but a SAUSAGE fest. They did have a decent band but the only food available was a vendor charging ripoff prices. Along with a food vendor there were also product vendors that Ill bet were paying the dealership to set up their stands for the day. Of course there was the obligatory bikini bike wash featuring a couple of decent looking spinners young enough to be my granddaughters, but the main eye candy was the bikes that you couldn't even stop for a second to look at, without being mugged by way overly aggressive salesmen. All in all I seen it as a wasted tank of gas. My buddies and I were out of there pronto looking for some real food that was worth the money. Here is what I'm wondering??? Do you guys think I'm being a DICK and experiencing feelings of entitlement?
In my experience the free food has stopped because the health dept. has cited shops for not having a licensed food entity in house (at least around here). Therefore, the dealerships have allowed food vendors to set up in their parking lots. Of course, nothing is free, so the dealerships have to charge rent for that space, which is passed on to the patrons of the food vendors. That`s just business. Other vendors pay as well, in spite of bikini apparel. `Hope that answers your question.....

Old 05-31-2016 | 11:26 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

I guess I'll say it is OK the HD dealer does some kind, any kind of event.

My Ford and Hyundai dealers do nothing and I dropped some serious money there

Old 05-31-2016 | 11:31 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Prot
I am always stunned by people buying a motorcycle costing in excess of twenty thousand dollars bitching about not being able to get free five dollar meal. Bonus points for bitching about having to spend money on gas to get there. Triple bonus points for starting a thread about it.

Most of the time at these dealer events where they are selling food, bike washes etc. it is a fund raiser for some charity or person in need.

Old 05-31-2016 | 11:52 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member

I've only been to a few at my dealer.. they typically have free burgers and dogs and dollar beers. But they can get too crowded and too many "cool" duck walkers for my taste.

Old 05-31-2016 | 12:03 PM
mdm
Tourer

Never been to one so it would be hard for a deaer to fall below or exceed my expectations. I did happen to stop at a dealer that was having some kind of event in FL one time. Huge crowd, a lot of cartoon characters walking around, a lot of bikes sitting in the parking lot that didn't look like they got ridden much,... As we were leaving two buses pulled up and disgorged numerous senior citizens, mostly ladies, from a nearby senior citizen apartment complex.

Old 05-31-2016 | 01:13 PM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by mdm
Never been to one so it would be hard for a deaer to fall below or exceed my expectations. I did happen to stop at a dealer that was having some kind of event in FL one time. Huge crowd, a lot of cartoon characters walking around, a lot of bikes sitting in the parking lot that didn't look like they got ridden much,... As we were leaving two buses pulled up and disgorged numerous senior citizens, mostly ladies, from a nearby senior citizen apartment complex.
They probably thought they were going to get some free sausage!

Old 05-31-2016 | 01:37 PM
turbotom1052
|
Road Master

I wonder how many of you that replied with negative comments, have at times referred to the dealerships as stealerships. Now thats the ultimate in dickheadedness!!!

Old 05-31-2016 | 01:38 PM
Jack Sullivan
Outstanding HDF Member

Ever hear "Alway bring something to the party"? That means if you going to the open house buy a shirt, gloves, pegs or something. You don't have to buy a bike. To many 100% freeloaders like you and your buddies probably put an end to the freebees. If you were hungry you should have just bought a sausage and drink you cheap *****. My dealer is great. Montey's W. Bridgewater, MA. They just had their open house. Free food, drink, DJ, etc...I didn't eat or drink but I spent about 100 on some things I needed like K & N filter cleaning kit, black saddlebag reconditioner and a nice T.

Last edited by Jack Sullivan; 05-31-2016 at 01:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slhanks4 (06-06-2016)
Old 05-31-2016 | 01:52 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

I think you're richard who doesn't appreciate a good bikini wash.

Old 05-31-2016 | 02:47 PM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by turbotom1052
I wonder how many of you that replied with negative comments, have at times referred to the dealerships as stealerships. Now thats the ultimate in dickheadedness!!!
Looks like you were expecting too much sympathy in this forum.

And no, I never use that idiotic made up word.

Quick Reply: Was I expecting too much?