Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ant infestation on bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 01:54 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Ant infestation on bike

Due to the heavy rains we have had, little black ants have decided to go the high ground route and take up residence on my bike. I have used soapy hot water to annihilate the boogers so far but I would really like them to look for lodging elsewhere.The last time it happened I had to take the bike apart to get rid of them. Yesterday the reappeared. I washed the bike again with hot soapy water and as they dropped off the bike I thought I heard a faint yell "I'll be back" in an Austrian accent.

Anybody else had this problem?

Last edited by atrox88; 05-28-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,983 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Spiders yes , ants no. I'd say get her up to operating temps even if you have to just sit and do the idle blip thing to cook the little buggers out. Getting the crotch cricket feeling at speed would be rude.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:11 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,350 Likes on 2,531 Posts

I get those boogers in my kitchen from time to time if the rains are bad enough. the only way that I've found to get rid of them is to use 'terro' brand ant killer. you drop a couple of drops of the liquid on the cardboard squares and place them in the ant's path. there is something in it that attracts them, they take it back to their nest, and kills them all.

Attached Thumbnails Ant infestation on bike-us-t100-1.jpg  
Old 05-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,790 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
I get those boogers in my kitchen from time to time if the rains are bad enough. the only way that I've found to get rid of them is to use 'terro' brand ant killer. you drop a couple of drops of the liquid on the cardboard squares and place them in the ant's path. there is something in it that attracts them, they take it back to their nest, and kills them all.
This stuff works. In the shop, in window frames where the tiniest crack gives them access. A couple of days / treatments and you're done.

(Haven't had corn kernels (a mouse nest) in one of your mufflers yet? )

Old 05-28-2016, 02:22 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,983 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
This stuff works. In the shop, in window frames where the tiniest crack gives them access. A couple of days / treatments and you're done.

Shot one across the driveway once out of a set of drag pipes

Old 05-28-2016, 02:27 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Get some Borax and sugar. Mix it in with a little water and set it out on a small plate along their path. Presto, no more ants. The sugar attracts them and the Borax has boric acid which is a slow acting poison (for ants). Works the same as skratch and stiggy's method. What ever Borax is left over can be used in your laundry. You can do the dance and stomp with ants all day long but you aren't affecting the nest.

Originally Posted by Stiggy
No corn kernels but acorns from squirrels.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-28-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:54 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by atrox88
Due to the heavy rains we have had, little black ants have decided to go the high ground route and take up residence on my bike. I have used soapy hot water to annihilate the boogers so far but I would really like them to look for lodging elsewhere.The last time it happened I had to take the bike apart to get rid of them. Yesterday the reappeared. I washed the bike again with hot soapy water and as they dropped off the bike I thought I heard a faint yell "I'll be back" in an Austrian accent.

Anybody else had this problem?
Well, you can say what you want about them but look on the bright side, at least they have good taste in bikes, they chose a Harley.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:18 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Spiders yes , ants no. I'd say get her up to operating temps even if you have to just sit and do the idle blip thing to cook the little buggers out. Getting the crotch cricket feeling at speed would be rude.
Yeah I noticed riding yesterday in the heat that every time I stopped for a period of time the ants would come out carrying eggs. I would kill as many as I could then ride some more, get her good and hot and stop for awhile again and the same thing, ant everywhere. It is my understanding they leave a pheromone scent which attracts even more ants. I'm going to go the boric acid mix mentioned and the terro. I read they hate vinegar to.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:12 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyboy22
Get some Borax and sugar. Mix it in with a little water and set it out on a small plate along their path. Presto, no more ants. The sugar attracts them and the Borax has boric acid which is a slow acting poison (for ants). Works the same as skratch and stiggy's method. What ever Borax is left over can be used in your laundry. You can do the dance and stomp with ants all day long but you aren't affecting the nest.
This works great except I don't add water.

In the spring we get ants in the house. I mix borax and sugar in a bottle cap and put them under the dishwasher, fridge and lazy susan.

Works great.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:53 PM
Route66
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a similar problem a few years back. It got so bad I had to call in for re-enforcements. Captured it all on video:

Quick Reply: Ant infestation on bike