General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have dealer-phobia

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:13 PM
ElectraLarry
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I have dealer-phobia

I must admit, I get a little anxious when I think of bringing my bike to the dealer for service. In 5 1/2 years I have brought it in just once for the 1000 miler. I have always used an independent shop for anything above my ability but there really has not been any major work done. Now my indy shop is gone and I have an issue with my compensator. When I call Harley to ask a simple question all I hear is "bring it in to the dealer". A guy can spend $30K at a dealership on the bike+parts but they wont answer one question for you about a mechanical issue. Puke.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:19 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Yup. Buy a manual and start learning.
It isn't rocket surgery although it can seem intimidating at first. I've been working on mechanical things since I was a kid, but I've gone deeper than ever with my bike. Sure it was scary at first, but once I got into it, I realized it just isn't that complicated.

The following users liked this post:
ShadowforNow (05-27-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 10:28 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Sounds like you need a new dealer, I have a couple near me that are happy to answer questions and i have never bought a bike from either. I always buy out of town from a friend.

01dyna (05-27-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 10:30 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Love my dealer. Never had a problem and always helpful...

Old 05-26-2016, 10:50 PM
ElectraLarry
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Yup. Buy a manual and start learning.
It isn't rocket surgery although it can seem intimidating at first. I've been working on mechanical things since I was a kid, but I've gone deeper than ever with my bike. Sure it was scary at first, but once I got into it, I realized it just isn't that complicated.
I have a manual and I have done lots of work on this bike myself. Thats not the problem. The problem is when something is happening that shouldn't be, and you can find no answers. You are left with this forum or asking for help at the dealership and getting none. I've already posted the issue in the transmission section so I'm hoping someone here knows whats going on. Most times they do.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:53 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Why don't you ask your question here, or on the Harley Tech Talk forum? All you need to know is on the Internet. The dealer's bread and butter is selling people parts, service and motor clothes. It's not criminal. It's business. Their business is not about giving out information and answering questions for free. For every guy like you, there are 10 willing to hand over their money to the dealer so they can apply what they know. Knowledge is power and with the Internet, Google and specialized forums like this, it is more accessible than ever, without ever paying a penny. But you have to apply yourself a little. For less time than it took you to write your little rant here, you probably could have typed your question into Google and had your answer by now...

Old 05-27-2016, 02:51 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,014 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by show-n-go
Sounds like you need a new dealer, I have a couple near me that are happy to answer questions and i have never bought a bike from either. I always buy out of town from a friend.
I have to agree. Not all dealers are equal. The dealer I bought my bike from had a great staff except for the service. Everytime I took the bike in for anything they'd screw something up. Never anything major, just stupid little things. I started going to another dealer 10 minutes farther from my house and couldn't be happier. They have great service techs and never have disappointed me. In another year or two I'll be buying my next Harley from them, since they want to service what they sell.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:19 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I have "anybody but me working on my bikes" phobia.

The other fellows are right. You're just as smart as the folks working in the dealership; you just don't have the experience. People here and on HTT are very helpful if you're willing to do your part and not ask to be spoon fed. The experience you gain by working on your own bike will absolutely change how you feel when you're a thousand miles from home and have a spot of mechanical trouble.

fullautomike (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 11:57 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Maybe next time instead of calling,you might show up at the Dealer in person and with the bike.You might find they will communicate with you better.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,133 Likes on 7,886 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
Maybe next time instead of calling,you might show up at the Dealer in person and with the bike.You might find they will communicate with you better.
I don't believe that's possible in the OP's case as he has the bike apart at this time.

Quick Reply: I have dealer-phobia