General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads Up For Hammock Seat Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 05:14 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Heads Up For Hammock Seat Owners

I've been doing a seat mod on the wife's seat and figured while I was at it I'd add a little to the rear of the bucket of my seat because I've been getting some of the dreaded tailbone pain on longer rides. I just figured the padding had broken down some over time since when I first got the seat I could ride all day and still feel like I was sitting on my couch. Well, if you have a hammock seat like I do and have been experiencing the same thing then next time you have it off, flip it over and give the underside a look! Here's what I found. The section of the hammock sling toward the rear of the bucket had come undone.

Now the good news is it didn't go far and it's not that hard to get it back in place. Pull the staples on the flap of cover and then grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and work it back into the groove. It is only retained by two flex tabs that I'm sure it just worked its way past over time and due to flex in the pan. I pre-drilled two holes and ran a screw into each to help keep it in place. This location allows the screw to go through two sections of the pan and the bar.

Should be good as new and as soon as the rain stops I'll be making sure.

The following 6 users liked this post by Little Mike:
almostakeeper (03-25-2020), Bafflingbs (09-08-2020), Greg2012FLHTK (09-08-2018), Gunrunner72 (05-25-2016), rwven (11-18-2016), suprdave04 (05-27-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-21-2016, 09:40 PM
davep
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how's the screws holding in the hammock seat...are they still holding.....just got mine replaced today and was going to put some hardware in the seat to prevent it from happening again....thanks for your input and pic's....what kind of hardware did you use to hold the sling in place?

Old 12-21-2016, 10:29 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

Everything is still in place and holding up fine. I didn't use any hardware other than the two screws. The two tabs weren't broken it is just that the lip of the tabs that the sling bar sits on are not that deep. So the two screws just work to keep it held in place.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:15 AM
ja57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 91 Posts

Good info as I was looking at getting one.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:54 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 449 Likes on 226 Posts

I checked mine and it was starting to slip. I pulled it back in place and put 2 sheet metal screws in it. We'll see how it holds up.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:32 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,289 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mike
I've been doing a seat mod on the wife's seat and figured while I was at it I'd add a little to the rear of the bucket of my seat because I've been getting some of the dreaded tailbone pain on longer rides. I just figured the padding had broken down some over time since when I first got the seat I could ride all day and still feel like I was sitting on my couch. Well, if you have a hammock seat like I do and have been experiencing the same thing then next time you have it off, flip it over and give the underside a look! Here's what I found. The section of the hammock sling toward the rear of the bucket had come undone.

Now the good news is it didn't go far and it's not that hard to get it back in place. Pull the staples on the flap of cover and then grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and work it back into the groove. It is only retained by two flex tabs that I'm sure it just worked its way past over time and due to flex in the pan. I pre-drilled two holes and ran a screw into each to help keep it in place. This location allows the screw to go through two sections of the pan and the bar.

Should be good as new and as soon as the rain stops I'll be making sure.

Now the good news is it didn't go far and it's not that hard to get it back in place.
Not hard to get back in place? hardly my experience. Glad I found this thread as my seat has been that way awhile and I wasn't aware, I wondered what was going on. BUT, it was no easy chore getting it back in place. Mine slid all the way under the seat, you couldn't even see it. Week later, few vice grips.....Its pulled back into place. Now going to put in set screws. Note a plain needle-nose grips was too fat go get all the way under the seat to pull it out.

For a $500 seat this shouldn't be happening. More crappy Moco engineering.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-17-2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
The following users liked this post:
suprdave04 (05-27-2021)
Old 04-09-2018, 11:13 AM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

subscribed

Old 05-15-2018, 06:20 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Thanks for the post

I thought it was imagination that my tail bone started to get sore all of a sudden. Sure enough .. Unslung hammock

Mine was almost all the way retracted into the pan and I really couldn't get it with pliers

I pulled a lot staples and got my hands in between the foam and hammock and helped the plastic bar make the 90 degree turn up back into the slot. Still took some finnagling but it worked.

If you are struggling .. Just pull the staples and make it easier

waldoe (10-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

My Heated hammock on my 16 RGU is only 7 months and 4,000 miles old. I noticed lately my but wasn't stay all the way back in the seat, I was sliding forward and the seat felt spongy. I just saw this thread and went and pulled the seat. Mine looked like the 1st picture in the 1st post. I was able to use long nosed pliers and pull it back up and on top of the plastic tabs. Drilled the two holes and put in sheet metal screws. Now it feels like it did new. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Greg2012FLHTK; 09-08-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:50 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,698 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I proactively added screws for reinforcement, to prevent sling from breaking loose.
Its been great so far, 12+k miles. OL loves it too.

Bafflingbs (09-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Heads Up For Hammock Seat Owners