General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads Up For Hammock Seat Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 08:45 AM
SMR
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
I proactively added screws for reinforcement, to prevent sling from breaking loose.
Its been great so far, 12+k miles. OL loves it too.
What screws did you use and how long were they? Are they screwing from the one piece of plastic through the webbing into the other piece of plastic behind it? I've seen the pics of the screws that people have shown for the fix, but I wish they would have shown how and what they were screwing them in to. Anyway you can take a few pics of your for me if not to much trouble? Thanks

Old 03-31-2020, 11:58 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 706 Posts

You couldn't get a much better photo than just a few post up, but check this out... In the photo below: with the hammock in the correct position I drilled 2 holes, indicated by the green arrows, thru the black plastic, thru the webbing, and thru the next layer of black plastic. Then took 1/4-20 X 1" or 3/4" bolts with a flat washer and slid them thru. On the other end, down in the slots indicated by the red arrows, you find the other end of the bolts... I put a flat washer and 1/4-20 nylon lock nuts on them and was done. All that you are trying to do is to keep that webbing (and the plastic bar inside it) from pulling out of that slot it sits in. It is just held in by other plastic grooves/clip stuff and over time, with weight on it it can get worked loose... doing something like this, either proactively or after the fact, just keeps it from being able to slip out of its slot.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 03-31-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:07 PM
SMR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
You couldn't get a much better photo than just a few post up, but check this out... In the photo below: with the hammock in the correct position I drilled 2 holes, indicated by the green arrows, thru the black plastic, thru the webbing, and thru the next layer of black plastic. Then took 1/4-20 X 1" or 3/4" bolts with a flat washer and slid them thru. On the other end, down in the slots indicated by the red arrows, you find the other end of the bolts... I put a flat washer and 1/4-20 nylon lock nuts on them and was done. All that you are trying to do is to keep that webbing (and the plastic bar inside it) from pulling out of that slot it sits in. It is just held in by other plastic grooves/clip stuff and over time, with weight on it it can get worked loose... doing something like this, either proactively or after the fact, just keeps it from being able to slip out of its slot.

Thank you, You went a little more in detail about going through both layers of plastic. That was the biggest thing I wanted to make sure of. Appreciate your response and time.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:53 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,289 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
You couldn't get a much better photo than just a few post up
lol...

Old 04-01-2020, 08:09 AM
SMR
Advanced

Originally Posted by f150hd
lol...
🤣🤣🤣🤣 🙄🙄🙄🙄 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Old 04-01-2020, 10:33 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,289 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR
🤣🤣🤣🤣 🙄🙄🙄🙄 🤡🤡🤡🤡
Its all good. For a $500 seat none of us should have to worry about something like this.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:45 PM
AJDR^
Intermediate
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

A shoutout to those above. Got the heated hammock around Oct 2018. Lately felt like I was sitting on two rails - one on each side of seat. Took it off and turned over, sure enough, mine looked exactly like the first set of pictures. So turned it over on the floor, used 2 vise-grips one on each end of the fabric / plastic insert, held it with my lower legs, walked it right back up into the slot in about 10 seconds, back to where it was supposed to be. Will refrain from stating opinion on the quality given the price. Drilled small pilot holes then inserted screws to keep in place. Test rode today and much better - so thanks everyone that figured this out and posted this fix !!!

BTW, while I had the seat off, noticed it was rubbing on the rear fender and scuffing the clearcoat - cleaned that up and put a 2" strip of PPF (paint protection film) across the whole fender. Used the 3M version. Went to a local PPF installer and he grabbed several pieces of scrap from a high end car he was working on - gladly gave it to me even though I offered to pay - he said no chance which was very nice. Should do the trick.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:50 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I had to fix mine a couple weeks back too.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:53 PM
GHarris
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I repaired my hammock seat today, good as new and shouldn’t have to do it again. Thanks for the tutorial!

Old 07-05-2020, 05:03 PM
smokingjoe
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

I just checked mine because it felt different being on 4 bikes it felt fine but this last move has it felling different like its pushing me forward, anyway checked it and it was fine.
Best/joe

Quick Reply: Heads Up For Hammock Seat Owners