Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Wide Glide FXDWGI-3 days now

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:09 AM
ron s
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dyna Wide Glide FXDWGI-3 days now

ok....I have been riding my 2005 Dyna Wide Glide FXDWGI for 3 days now...I believe the fella before me lowered the rear a bit, and had long, staggered straight pipes on it....

positive- 1. rides nicely down the freeway
2. has enough power for me...coming from a 750 shadow, which I still have..
3. seems to get a lot of looks
4. happy so far, first harely

negatives- 1. I feel the seat is too far forward, ,,if I sit back on the hump...where the passenger sits....my legs feel more relaxed..not sure how to fix that...maybe I can find a different seat that will allow me to sit farther back?
..............2...the pipes are LOUD...I am lucky I have earbud that fit tightly(listen to smartphone Spotify) and blocks out most of the noise..i am thinking straight pipes are probably the best fit for a lowered bike like mine..others might not look so good that are less loud?
3. the stand..i have to reach down to flip it out...cannot get my shoe on it?

any suggestions welcomed.....

Attached Thumbnails Dyna Wide Glide FXDWGI-3 days now-0fa151e0-ba33-4c07-b7d0-0fc8871a838c_28_800600.jpg  

Last edited by ron s; 05-23-2016 at 12:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mxdad (05-25-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 12:22 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

If you keep wearing earbuds listening to music instead of paying attention to what you (and everybody else) are doing on a motorcycle, eventually all the other issues you have will no longer be a problem.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Love the '05 Wide Glide

1) Seat recommendations are like taste in music - everyone has their own. Me - I love the Mustang Wide Vintage Solo. 4,152 miles in 9 days and about 40K miles overall are the basis for my decision.

2) long staggered straight pipes? Where's the photo from the other side?

3) Use your heel to get the side stand down. Place your heel against the back of the outer primary and slide down. It'll take a bit, but it'll become second nature.

Enjoy...

Old 05-23-2016, 09:10 AM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You may want to check out C&C Seats.

After reading a bunch of opinions I ordered their Squareback seat for my FXDWG. It is supposed to lower you a little bit and move you back maybe an inch. Should have it this week and really looking forward to trying it out.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

1. I feel the seat is too far forward, ,,if I sit back on the hump...where the passenger sits....my legs feel more relaxed..not sure how to fix that...maybe I can find a different seat that will allow me to sit farther back?
There are two things you can do to fix this.

FIRST: if you think it is just the seat, there are plenty of seats out there that will push you back by about an inch or so. My mustang solo did that for me.

SECOND: you could get forward control extensions. They come in 2 or 3 inch kits. I put 3 inc extensions on mine. They are recommended for people with a 34 inch inseam or greater. (I have a 36" inseam.

2...the pipes are LOUD...I am lucky I have earbud that fit tightly(listen to smartphone Spotify) and blocks out most of the noise..i am thinking straight pipes are probably the best fit for a lowered bike like mine..others might not look so good that are less loud?
You could go to a Harley dealer and get a set of stock pipes. They are quiet. Maybe you could find some used stock pipes.

Practice. Curl your toe back and under the primary.

I believe the fella before me lowered the rear a bit
It looks like he replaced the shocks with a shorter set. I believe the stock shocks were about 11.5 or 12 inches. Get a good set of 12 inch shocks f you are tall.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:28 AM
ron s
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok....I quess I have some work to do on this bike....see what happens ..I wlll post pic of the pipes later...

my pipes

Attached Thumbnails Dyna Wide Glide FXDWGI-3 days now-20160523_104537.jpg  

Last edited by ron s; 05-23-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:34 AM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

If it was lowered, and you put taller shocks on the bike, you may have to order a new jiffy stand as the previous owner may have put a shorter one on it - like I did on my lowrider and '95 sporty. You may end up having to get a regular one. Just something to check.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:41 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
If you keep wearing earbuds listening to music instead of paying attention to what you (and everybody else) are doing on a motorcycle, eventually all the other issues you have will no longer be a problem.
Whatever. I have about 110,000 miles and I'm on my 12th riding seasons with Reaper, with 99% of that listening to music through noise isolating in-ear monitors. It's never kept me from knowing EXACTLY what was going on around me at all times.

Last edited by Clammy; 05-24-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:44 AM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

looking at your scoot Id say that you have like 10 inch shocks. With the stock suspension the swingarm is usually parallel with the ground. As far as the loud exhaust is concerned, you may want to look inside the ends of the exhaust with a flashlight to be sure that their are baffles in place. If there are baffles then you could always look into the availability of a baffle design that will tone it down a bit. Ni=ce ride and welcome to the sickness.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:26 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by ron s
ok....I have been riding my 2005 Dyna Wide Glide FXDWGI for 3 days now...I believe the fella before me lowered the rear a bit, and had long, staggered straight pipes on it....

positive- 1. rides nicely down the freeway
2. has enough power for me...coming from a 750 shadow, which I still have..
3. seems to get a lot of looks
4. happy so far, first harely

negatives- 1. I feel the seat is too far forward, ,,if I sit back on the hump...where the passenger sits....my legs feel more relaxed..not sure how to fix that...maybe I can find a different seat that will allow me to sit farther back?
..............2...the pipes are LOUD...I am lucky I have earbud that fit tightly(listen to smartphone Spotify) and blocks out most of the noise..i am thinking straight pipes are probably the best fit for a lowered bike like mine..others might not look so good that are less loud?

any suggestions welcomed.....
Looking at the pics you posted I have no doubt the bike has been lowered. I have run a Mustang Wide Touring seat on both an 03 and 08 WG. I am 6'7" and need all the leg room I can get. The Mustang seems to put me lower and a bit further back than the stock seat did on both the 03 and 08. The other thing I did on both of those WGs was to add Kuryakyn 3" extension to the forward controls. As to the pipe check and see if it has the baffles in, the previous owner may have removed them. As to the jiffy stand, I cant flip mine with my foot either as it tucks to close behind the primary and my legs are two long its not a big deal as I just flip it down with my hand.

Here is a link to the seat it comes with or without conchos and studs. The seat is very comfortable for both the driver and passenger. I loved the one on my 03 so much that when I picked up the 08 there was no doubt I would put the same seat on it
http://www.mustangseats.com/Product/...son-Dyna-Glide

Link to 3" extensions
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/230/3-extension-kit

Here is a pic of mine so you can see how it looks with the seat and 3" extensions

Quick Reply: Dyna Wide Glide FXDWGI-3 days now